We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long weekend -porto or lisbon?

Antwerp, Antwerpen...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Long weekend -porto or lisbon?

dear travellers,

specially those of you , who seen both , i need your recomandetions to make a decision !

for a long weekend - 3 days Fri or Mon included , in November , just for relaxing ,city sightseeing , walks on the street , trying to catch up the portuguese specific , which one worth it more, Porto or Lisbon ?

thanks in advance

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long weekend -porto or lisbon?

Very difficult for me. I really liked both. Being a fan of small cities my first choice would probably be Porto.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long weekend -porto or lisbon?

Hey Viorela P:) That is a difficult call! Both Cities will pretty much provide you with what you're looking for..Coming from a big City, I have to admit I found Oporto wonderful..and manageable (was there for only 4 days myself;) On the other hand, Lisbon has some wonderful neighborhoods you'd certainly be able to relax, take some great walks and get into the feel/vibe of the area, etc..You won't go wrong with either! Toss a coin..and ENjoy!

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
992 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long weekend -porto or lisbon?

I agree that both cities have their own form of charm. Saying that, I think I would say, do Lisbon first. There is so much to do and enjoy. THEN you will have to come back and do Porto.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long weekend -porto or lisbon?

I agree with novakc. If you haven't been to Lisbon yest, please do it first, and then go back to Portugal to see Porto. This is precisely what my wife and I are doing. We visited Lisbon two years ago and loved every minute of our stay there. This time around we are going to Porto and the Douro Valley.

I will also be going back to Lisbon myself in the spring. Should give you an idea of the kind of spell the city has on me.

Antwerp, Antwerpen...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long weekend -porto or lisbon?

soo ...we have a draw here 2-2 , still waitting other pros and cons :)

i ll be back soon with decision!

p.s. :sucks that i dont like porto wine , that would make it easier

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
992 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long weekend -porto or lisbon?

We have been to Lisbon twice and still haven't seen everything we want to see. I think we are going back for the Christmas/New Years holidays after a great time this summer. There is so much to see and do in Portugal. We will only be going seven days on this short trip to escape the cold weather of New England. We are trying to decide WHERE we will go for how many days.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
992 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long weekend -porto or lisbon?

I think much also depends on flights that you can get and at what cost. We were in the Netherlands when we flew to Lisbon the last time. It was much cheaper to fly to Lisbon even via Heathrow than Porto. Still it was a hassle changing terminals at Heathrow. WHERE can you get a direct flight to?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long weekend -porto or lisbon?

TAP, the Portuguese airlines and a member of the Star Alliance, offers direct flights to Lisbon from the New York area as does Continental (from Newark). TAP also has direct flights to Porto twice a week from NY. But it means that you would need to travel to NY/Newark to catch any of these flights.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long weekend -porto or lisbon?

They're different cities. Both very beautiful.

Lisbon is bigger, it's a large city. There's more to see in Lisbon rather in Porto but, on the other hand, the Douro view in Porto is unique. People in Porto are friendlier, also.

I would say, if you like big cosmopolitan cities, go to Lisbon. if you like something a bit more quiet and different, choose Porto.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long weekend -porto or lisbon?

.fwiw, the OP appears to be traveling from within Europe:) On the trans, I believe both carriers are out of EWR..I know I've flown TAP twice to Lisbon and both times out of EWR..nonetheless, who knows..maybe there are convenient directs to Oporto for the OP! Keep enjoyin' all!