We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porto vs. Lisbon

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Porto vs. Lisbon

We will be travelling to Portugal in September and only have 1 week and want to spend most of it in the Algarve. We fly into Lisbon and had intended to spend the first night and day there but now I'm looking at Porto and thinking it might be better. If you could only do 1 of the cities which would you pick?

Also part of the decision is that the night there is my husband's birthday and we would like to go out for a nice dinner (with lots of amazing wine) and some fun dancing or nightlife - somewhere with a late 20's or 30's crowd.

thanks for any input!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Porto vs. Lisbon

Hello,

You'll have people from Lisbon answering one way, and from Porto the other... I will start by answering your second paragraph, saying that this will not be your choosing factor: both cities have plenty off all this, of any kind you want.

If I were to state the differences that might help anyone choose I would say that Porto offers cellar visits, wine tasting and vineyard tours that Lisbon cannot match, while Lisbon offers a more unique architecture with styles and shapes that you will find nowhere else in the world. In this sense Porto is a more "European" city and Lisbon scores some points. On the wine experience its Porto that goes ahead. You may also feel a more close experience with natives in Porto than in Lisbon, but not necessarily. Both cities have their own charms concerning landscape, urban setting and people, and both have great offer on food, restaurants, bars and cafés and culture offer. Some people will like better one than the other, but just as a matter of personal taste.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,897 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porto vs. Lisbon

Your arrival and departure city in Portugal will be Lisboa? And you want to head south for most of your time here, correct?

My opinion, based on the times to travel in between Algarve, Lisboa and Porto is stay in Lisboa. Do some justice to Porto and came back to Portugal to visit this city and the northern part of the country.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
516 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porto vs. Lisbon

The previous poster is correct. Given your time frame make it Lisbon. Porto is a great city and we really love the northern area of Portugal very much but if you have a week and will be in the south most of the time then do Lisbon. There's much to see there. After visits to Lisbon we have not seen it all yet. Return for a longer trip to see more including Porto and the north later.

London, United...
Level Contributor
334 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Porto vs. Lisbon

Porto is a good City to visit, But if you are flying to and from Lisbon, i would visit another city/town near Lisbon.

Places like Sintra, Cascais, Obidos near Lisbon.

Or Evora, which is almost in the region between Lisbon and the Algarve.

I just think that you only have one week, it's a long way to go to Porto...

Lisbon is a wonderful city with great architecture, good beaches nearby.

5. Re: Porto vs. Lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 01:46