We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Braga a good base?

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
50 posts
36 reviews
Is Braga a good base?

We are going to be in the northern region for 4 full days in July as part of an 11 day trip. We want to see Braga, Barcelos, Guimarães, and possibly the 5 bridges tour in Porto. We want to base in a Small and relaxing town with easy access to public transport to the cities on the list for day trips. We will not have a car. I am thinking Braga is the most central or would another town be better? Thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Portugal
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
83 reviews
1. Re: Is Braga a good base?

Braga is an interesting city to visit, but it is very big... Guimarães which is very close to Braga is more cozy and relaxing to stay... Both are must-see cities.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
50 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Is Braga a good base?

Is there easy public transport to Barcelos and Braga from Guimarães ? I’m hoping for a smaller town thats easy to make daytrip‘s from.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
113 reviews
3. Re: Is Braga a good base?

although i've visited the mentioned places.from my limited knowledge of that part of portugal bus plus 5 took me an hour when i caught it from guimaraes to braga

www.transdev.pt

the bus from guimaraes to barcelos is beyond my knowledge so hopefully others with advise,you could try a few dummy runs using the trains and while changing stations is easy enough only you know if it's convenient or not.

www.cp.pt

as mentioned braga is quite a big city and a underrated one in my opinion but it is not a small town but from my limited knowledge i would compromise and stay in braga even if the bus and train station are a good 20 minute walk apart.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
339 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Is Braga a good base?

Santo Tirso might be worth a look. You can get to all the places listed by train. Regular train service to Porto.

It's a nice town with a good selection of restaurants etc.

We stayed in the Hotel Cidney a couple of years ago. The more expensive rooms have views. Fantastic view from the rooftop bar.

The only slight drawback is its a bit of a walk to the train station. We caught a taxi a few times. 5 euros a trip.

Hope this is useful.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
50 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Is Braga a good base?

Thanks everyone. It’s looking like Guimarães fits us best even though getting to Barcelos from there is too far. We decided to sacrifice a day trip to have a little town to hang out in for a few days.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
113 reviews
6. Re: Is Braga a good base?

if you think getting to barcelos doesn't suit your plans and you have a spare half day in guimaraes i would have a look at a lovely little town called amarante and see if it interests you and while i went to amarante from porto the same rodonorte bus company does that bus journey from guimaraes.

Reply to: Is Braga a good base?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Braga