We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet Air fare rises again!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
381 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Easyjet Air fare rises again!!

Can anyone explain why the return airfare from Madeira to Bristol with Easyjet is so expensive?

I see in February next year it's cheap to fly to Madeira but my word the return fares are outrageous nearly double!

I can't imagine what the 2013 September flights are going to be.

There certainly seems a lot of us here in the UK who are trying to stay loyal to the beautiful island and its residents but things are getting a bit tough now:-( so come on to Madeira tourism give us a help or is it just the airlines? When are they going to realise it's difficult to get to the island other than by air? Unless of course you like a cruise and a short visit!

Edited: 16 April 2012, 19:49
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easyjet Air fare rises again!!

To be fair i think it is the airlines they seem to be trying to squeeze as much money as possible out people as for the Maderian authorities they have terrible problems re money and i think cant help.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easyjet Air fare rises again!!

I have been reading all the posts about the air fares going up but had not realised by how much till I came to look for our september holiday ,the prices are astronomical if we did not like madeira so much it would certainly put us off.I am sure it will stop some first time visitors from coming.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,887 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easyjet Air fare rises again!!

The dates haven't been confirmed and I haven't had time to check when Easter is, but the Carnival in 2013 is 6 - 13 Feb which may account for the hike in price...---

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easyjet Air fare rises again!!

That does not account for the general rise in prices ,much more than say flights to faro

Horncastle...
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easyjet Air fare rises again!!

Ladylee: It's precisely because the airlines know it's difficult to get to Madeira other than by air that they can charge what they like!

To be fair to easyJet, though, they are not the only Uk airline that offers cheap flights out to a destination but relatively expensive flights back.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easyjet Air fare rises again!!

Oil prices are going up and up www.opec.org/opec_web/en/

Edited: 17 April 2012, 08:45
durham
Level Contributor
194 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easyjet Air fare rises again!!

Thomson has the cheek to charge extortionate prices both ways. At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask!!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easyjet Air fare rises again!!

I quite agree with you Roger - all the low cost airlines seem to offer a reasonable fare in one direction and a much more expensive one in the other direction. I think Jet2.com is particularly noted for this - not just for Madeira but on their routes in general

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easyjet Air fare rises again!!

Hi everyone. I am not surprised at the increases in airfares, plus the bad flight times. Speaking with my travel agent yesterday, she said that holidays to Madeira had dropped dramatically and the New Year numbers for the fireworks 2012/2013 werealso down. I sincerely hope that these airlines wake up when they realise they can't fill their planes. As I have said before the major hotel groups need to get together and and put pressure on the airlines and the Tourism Minister!

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easyjet Air fare rises again!!

I don't think the airlines care too much whether or not people can afford to fly to Madeira, they are more interested in running a profitable business.

I am a regular visitor to Madeira, usually flying Easyjet from Bristol. Last year there were 3 flights a week and the fares were usually around £100 return, but the flights were only half full. This year the number of weekly flights has reduced to 2 and the fares have gone up dramatically, but the flights I have used so far have been full with the exception of just a handful of seats. Easyjet's business plan on the Bristol-Funchal route seems to have worked in their favour - less flights, higher fares, more passengers per flight.

This should also be viewed in conjunction with the loss of the Thompson Exeter-Funchal weekly flight which means the number of flights from the Westcountry to Madeira has been halved. Perhaps there isn't really the demand we like to think there is - annoying and expensive for visitors to Madeira, but the airlines understandably want profits, not empty planes flying around.