We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sintra for Seniors

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
159 posts
14 reviews
Sintra for Seniors

Hi, we are 70 and not handicapped,but not super nimble ,either. We are interested in Pena and Regeleria gardens. Are these doable? I'm thinking a tour rather than independent might be best, but I am not interested in going to the coast.

31 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,231 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Sintra for Seniors

When are you coming? You don't need a tour for that, take the train to Sintra and go for yourself. If in Pena it's the gardens that you are interested you don't need to queue for the Palace, there's an entrance called the lakes entrance that it's perfect for that. If you take the bus at the train station it's the same stop as for the castle.

To Regaleira there's also a bus or walking about 20mins from the station and you'll be there, this walk is more or less flat except the final steep road for Regaleira entrance.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
159 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Sintra for Seniors

thank you, This makes it sound much more doable than many of the previous posts.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Sintra for Seniors

I am 68 and have visited Sintra a number of times. As long as you take things easy it is not at all bad. There is some uphill walking but it tends to be quite gentle and shaded.

The thing people like in Quinta da Regaleira are the numerous follies in the gardens. If you walk down every single path that is rather tiring but there is no rule requiring you to do so. Once you have seen enough retire to the very pleasant outdoor cafe and take a coffee or a beer or a glass of red wine.

Be prepared for crowds and some queueing. With some patience and goodwill that does not need to spoil your day.

Do have some queijados in Casa Piriquita

http://piriquita.pt/?lang=en

and I like to take lunch at Restaurante Cafe Paris.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
158 reviews
4. Re: Sintra for Seniors

I agree that Sintra is totally doable for us 'mature' people. We didn't do tour but rather headed out on our own. I guess the key to Pena Palace is to arrive early to avoid the worst of the crowds. The bus is easy to get up to the Palace but can get very crowded. You do have the option of a taxi or the tuk tuks that were busy trying to get people on them. There is a trolley that can take you up to palace itself. The Palace was very crowded when we were there in a November. The gardens are beautiful and fewer people take advantage of them.

We took the English speaking tour of Quinta da Regaleira (included in entrance fee) and there were some steep climbs. We didn't have a problem other than my husband stopping too many times to take pictures and getting behind. Just Hubby that I had to go back and rescue him for the 'walk on water' thing to get his foot falls right. We still laugh about it....

We very much enjoyed the National Palace of Sintra and took our time. It wasn't as crowded and I could take very careful looks at what interested me (many things). We enjoyed the interior of the National Palace much more than the interior of Pena Palace. I am a history nut so I enjoyed this much older palace more. Just me.

Just take your time and you should be fine.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
159 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Sintra for Seniors

We're going in April. First to Azores, then to Porto and lastly to Lisbon.

Mississauga, Canada
1 post
6. Re: Sintra for Seniors

Visited Sintra on a 1 day trip in Feb. 2018. Using a local guide meant we visited quite a number of places in a better order than we had planned, ate a wonderful tapas lunch, talked with locals, and enjoyed the company of a knowledgeable, local tour guide who we were told by more than one official attraction employee was the best. We didn't waste time queuing and waiting for the bus. We were not exhausted when we arrived back in Lisbon. Sergio Mata, our guide, gave us guided personal tours and we saw many people doing the site on their own listening in as his knowledge and love of his hometown sites was evident. A new, comfortable 6 person mini-van and a very nice, considerate, young man who speaks 6 languages. Check out sergiomatatours on Facebook.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
159 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Sintra for Seniors

Thank you all for your helpful ideas.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
599 posts
375 reviews
8. Re: Sintra for Seniors

Must be just us but we were very disappointed in the Pena Palace gardens. Too large, very steep and not enough signage. The transfer from the entrance to the Palace was WELL worth the €3 cost. Save your legs for what matters. We much preferred the gardens at Monserrate yesterday.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
159 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Sintra for Seniors

Thank you. I really appreciate the first hand information

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,231 posts
57 reviews
10. Re: Sintra for Seniors

disappointed in the Pena Palace gardens- that's a 1st... yes it's large, yes it's steep (if you think that the transfer from the main door to near the palace entrance is essencial so yes, you'll not be able to enjoy the park). There are maps and signs, just have to able to read it. It's a fantastic and magic place, but it's not a formal garden, it's a park.

Yes, Monserrate was "made" by an english so more formal and traditional and much smaller than Pena park.

Reply to: Sintra for Seniors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sintra