We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to get from Lisboa to Porto

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way to get from Lisboa to Porto

We’ll only be in Lisbon for 9 days, & figure aporti should be on our itinerary. Seems like train the best, Details from experts welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Best Seller
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,199 Reviews
from US$ 89.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
757 Reviews
from US$ 89.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Lisbon Small-Group Gourmet Portuguese...
472 Reviews
from US$ 53.80*
6 replies to this topic
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to get from Lisboa to Porto

I was in Portugal for nine nights last month: flew into Lisbon, spent four nights (day trips to Sintra and Cascais), train north to Coimbra (stop in Tomar for a few hours), spent two nights in Coimbra (quick day trip to Nazare by bus which should have been longer!), then train to Porto, three nights there, then flew home via Porto.

The trains all worked fine. Use the official train site to check schedules:

https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/train-times

or try the smart phone app. You can register and buy tickets online ahead of time. I didn't. The IC or AP trains between Lisbon and Porto are a little cheaper if you book ahead, but you really don't save that much money (vs. say France and Italy where trains can be very expensive) booking ahead. I think it's about 30 euros each way from Lisbon to Porto for the AP train, a little less for an IC, at the last minute. Seniors save 50% so if you are over 65, show your ID and ask for the discount at a station!

FYI, there is no direct train from the center of Lisbon to the center of Porto. You'll probably go from Lisbon Oriente station to Porto Campanha station. Take a metro (or taxi) to Oriente station. A train ticket to Campanha station in Porto includes a connecting train (not a metro) on to the more central Sao Bento station.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to get from Lisboa to Porto

Andrew,

Thanks SO much for such a comprehensive reply! So helpful...

Barbara

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,892 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to get from Lisboa to Porto

Just to add that train tickets are normally sold up to 60 days in advance. However because someone crashed the reservation system, tickets for journeys after 7th July will not be available (they say) until this coming Monday 18th June.

The sooner you book, the cheaper the tickets are likely to be. Discountsa re though not available on all trains per day.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to get from Lisboa to Porto

Cubsur,

IF some of us are ‘seniors’, can we book tickets w/discount Andrew mentions online?

Barbara

p.s. thanks for your additional helpful info.

near Phila.
Level Contributor
116 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way to get from Lisboa to Porto

I found train tickets in Portugal to be very cheap, if you book on-line at the Portugese rail website. Last month, we traveled from Evora to Faro ( with a 45 minute layover, and change of trains at Pinhal Novo ) for 6 euros, each !!!

Car rental is kind of expensive, and fuel ( gas or diesel ) is very expensive.

Take the train.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,892 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Way to get from Lisboa to Porto

"IF some of us are ‘seniors’, can we book tickets w/discount Andrew mentions online?"

Yes, I am and I do. You are asked for ID when booking (passport number) and this goes on the ticket. If the train conductor ask you for proof of age, show your same passport and that's it. Anyone 65 or over can obtain a 50% discount on normal fares. Some special 'promo' fares are even less than that.

When you buy tickets at the ticket office ie for local trains that cannot be booked, show ID to the clerk to get your 50% off..

Reply to: Best Way to get from Lisboa to Porto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted