We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belem and the Beaches

7 posts
1 review
Belem and the Beaches

I could opt for a trip from Belem to Estoril - Cascais - Boca da Inferno or choose a ferry to Tarifaria - Costa da Caparica, which one should I choose if I have only one day planned for the beach? Also Cacilhas, Almada and Porto Brandao can be reached using the ferry service. Are these fishermans villages worth a visit?

2 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,522 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Belem and the Beaches

If your goal is a day at the beach then the easiest by far is Lisbon (Cais do Sodré) to Estoril/Cascais,

Cacilhas is not a fishermans village, Almada is a big town with a very small old area, Porto Brandão is not a fishermans village (it's a village with a couple of restaurants and good views over Lisbon).

Trafaria was a fishermans village, you can still see a couple of small boats there, but now is mainly a village with a couple of restaurants and good views over Lisbon, you can reach Costa da Caparica by bus from here, but the buses are not frequent and a match with the ferry it is not guaranteed. So, if the goal is a day at the beach this is not the good route for it.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
113 reviews
2. Re: Belem and the Beaches

your choice of day trips are quite different from each other and while i can imagine most would opt for the estoril,cascais,boca inferno one if you choose the trafaria caparica one,i would return from caparica by bus to cacilhas where you'll have a good choice of local restaurants before taking the ferry across the river to cais do sodre which is a very pleasant journey in itself,the train station in lisbon for trains to belem is right next to the ferry terminal.

Reply to: Belem and the Beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belem