We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belem and the Beaches

7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Belem and the Beaches

I could opt for a trip from Belem to Estoril - Cascais - Boca da Inferno or choose a ferry to Tarifaria - Costa da Caparica, which one should I choose if I have only one day planned for the beach? Also Cacilhas, Almada and Porto Brandao can be reached using the ferry service. Are these fishermans villages worth a visit?

Mentioned in this post
Estoril
Estoril
Cascais, Portugal
Costa da Caparica
Costa da Caparica
Setubal District, Portugal
Almada
Almada
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Lisbon Combo: Hop-On Hop-Off Tour...
201 Reviews
from US$ 31.30*
Special Offer
Lisbon Super Saver: Lisbon...
116 Reviews
from US$ 95.00*
US$ 107.70
Lisbon City Sightseeing Tour
149 Reviews
from US$ 40.50*
2 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
24,435 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belem and the Beaches

If your goal is a day at the beach then the easiest by far is Lisbon (Cais do Sodré) to Estoril/Cascais,

Cacilhas is not a fishermans village, Almada is a big town with a very small old area, Porto Brandão is not a fishermans village (it's a village with a couple of restaurants and good views over Lisbon).

Trafaria was a fishermans village, you can still see a couple of small boats there, but now is mainly a village with a couple of restaurants and good views over Lisbon, you can reach Costa da Caparica by bus from here, but the buses are not frequent and a match with the ferry it is not guaranteed. So, if the goal is a day at the beach this is not the good route for it.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Estoril
Estoril
Cascais, Portugal
Almada
Almada
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Costa da Caparica
Costa da Caparica
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belem and the Beaches

your choice of day trips are quite different from each other and while i can imagine most would opt for the estoril,cascais,boca inferno one if you choose the trafaria caparica one,i would return from caparica by bus to cacilhas where you'll have a good choice of local restaurants before taking the ferry across the river to cais do sodre which is a very pleasant journey in itself,the train station in lisbon for trains to belem is right next to the ferry terminal.

Reply to: Belem and the Beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belem