We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrival in Ponta Delgada - PRINTED docs or just on phone OK?

United States
Level Contributor
846 posts
Arrival in Ponta Delgada - PRINTED docs or just on phone OK?
Save

Question for anyone who has recently arrived in PDL about the documentation checks that you go though upon arrival...

There are multiple documents that one is supposed to show when entering the Azores, specifically:

- Negative COVID test results (for those without an EU digital green pass)

In your experience, did you need to show a PRINTED version of your negative COVID test, or did authorities accept your test results if you just show it to them on a phone screen?

(Asking for a friend who scoffs at having things printed out, and wants to just flash her phone and be done with it...me, I will have everything printed AND on a little, hard-to-read screen, but I'm not counting on a phone to get me allowed in, but maybe I'm just being overly process-oriented).

Thanks for sharing your insights.

7 replies to this topic
Atlanta
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: Arrival in Ponta Delgada - PRINTED docs or just on phone OK?
Save

We arrived from Lisbon to Terceira, not the airport you asked about but perhaps helpful. We did our 72 hour test in Lisbon and did not have access to a printer. We had both the negative covid test and the mysafeazores certification (where we had uploaded the negative test) only on our phones. Upon landing in Terceira we followed the green line for passengers with prior testing. We showed them only the QR code on our phones and it was accepted no problem. I like to print things out because I'm afraid something will go wrong - uncharged phone, no cell service, etc. I've had to brighten my screen on occasion at a US airport, so I understand the desire to make things less stressful with a printout.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
70,246 posts
59 reviews
65 helpful votes
2. Re: Arrival in Ponta Delgada - PRINTED docs or just on phone OK?
Save

A paper copy is OK and a good idea, just in case.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
117 reviews
138 helpful votes
3. Re: Arrival in Ponta Delgada - PRINTED docs or just on phone OK?
Save

We received our negative PCR test results but without a QR code. Is that ok?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
28,653 posts
95 reviews
70 helpful votes
4. Re: Arrival in Ponta Delgada - PRINTED docs or just on phone OK?
Save

Ask your friend what she'd do if her phone were lost/stolen en route? Or her battery dies on the long flight?

Not specific to travel to Portugal, but I traveled with phone documentation once and found needing to keep my phone unlocked, keep the app active, flip from document to document in order to check in was just far more of a hassle than handing over some printed documents.

Middletown...
2 posts
1 review
5. Re: Arrival in Ponta Delgada - PRINTED docs or just on phone OK?
Save

My results are being delivered in an electronic form. Do you suggest I print out a copy of that record and would that suffice (in case of phone or app issues)?

Middletown...
2 posts
1 review
6. Re: Arrival in Ponta Delgada - PRINTED docs or just on phone OK?
Save

My results are being delivered by electronic record. Do you suggest I print a copy of this and would that suffice in case of phone/app issues ?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
70,246 posts
59 reviews
65 helpful votes
7. Re: Arrival in Ponta Delgada - PRINTED docs or just on phone OK?
Save

Absolutely. I am travelling from Portugal to UK today. Everything I might need to show has been printed, just in case.

In any case it's quicker and easier to hand over a bunch of paper rather than poke around on a tiny screen trying to find about six different items.

Reply to: Arrival in Ponta Delgada - PRINTED docs or just on phone OK?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.