We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portimao or Tavira? Need help please!

1 post
Save Topic
Portimao or Tavira? Need help please!

Hello all!

We’ve just booked our tickets to Portugal and it’ll be our first visit there. We’re beyond excited!

Soooo... we have found two nice options for our 2week stay and are torn, we don’t know if to stay in Tavira or Portimao.

We are going mid to end October for 11 days; the travelers are my husband and I, my parents and our 2 kids (a toddler and an infant).

Which area would be a better choice in your opinion?

Thank you in advance 🙏🏻

2 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,799 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portimao or Tavira? Need help please!

Which one very much depends on what you want to get out of your visit. Neither Portimão nor Tavira is actually on the coast. Portimão is a small city of around 60,000 people about 3km from the coast and the seaside resort of Praia Da Rocha. Although October cannot be guaranteed to be beach weather, it often is. So if it's the beach that's top of your list I will suggest staying in Praia da Rocha rather than Portimão. If however you just want a base from which you get can around and visit other parts of the region, then Portimão is as good a place as any, The city also has riverboat trips, lots of shops and all the amenities you need.

Tavira is likewise about 3km from the sea but in this case the only beaches are on an island, reachable only by foot passenger ferry or water taxi. Tavira is about half the size of Portimão, it is rather hilly in parts but pleasant town in which to stay. Tavira is a good base from which to see the eastern end of the Algarve.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
24,980 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portimao or Tavira? Need help please!

If you are coming for 2 weeks, stay 1 week in one and another week in the other. That way you'll see 2 different sides of the Algarve.

Reply to: Portimao or Tavira? Need help please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Portimao
Recent Conversations