We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes in Albufeira?

Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mosquitoes in Albufeira?

Are mosquitoes very bad in Albufeira? Been to Corfu for the last 4 years & they are rife there, just wondered wether or not to pack repellent or not.

Mentioned in this post
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
9 replies to this topic
Loule, Portugal
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes in Albufeira?

there are mosquitos

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,237 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes in Albufeira?

It takes only one to spoil your night, so if their bites trouble you come prepared. They aren't often around in the daytime, if you are outside at dusk some places (marina for example) can be a problem, but the biggest 'threat' is those that sneak inside your bedroom.

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes in Albufeira?

I have always been quite badly bitten in Greece despite taking all kinds of precautions. It’s never been such a problem over here to the point where I am often quite complacent. However, like Cubsur says it only takes one, like the blighter that feasted on my arm sometime on Tuesday evening/night and has given me two days of misery.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes in Albufeira?

I would still take the usual precautions, but in general I find there is less of a problem with mozzies in the Algarve than Greece. But you only need 1 in your room overnight to end up with several bites. So I would use room plug ins and if you are particularly sensitive some kind of skin protection in the evenings.

Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Greece
Greece
Europe
5. Re: Mosquitoes in Albufeira?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2018, 13:00

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
945 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes in Albufeira?

Pack the repellent, then can relax, not a huge problem but one bite can be so annoying. Trying Avon skin so soft in addition to usual, this year. apparently they also dislike lemon soap.enjoy Albufeira.

Mentioned in this post
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes in Albufeira?

In years of coming here we’ve only ever had an odd bite now and again, but this visit has been particularly bad with us both being bitten on a number of nights despite spraying the rooms and keeping doors and windows shut. Last night I got bitten on my face (you can cover your body but not your head.) I have a large bite on the side of my face and two on my eyelid which is currently swollen making me look like I’ve been in a fight.

If coming soon, I would definitely carry your repellents as you do in Greece. I’m no expert, but assuming it’s down to the type of weather we are having at the moment.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
glasgow
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes in Albufeira?

Pack repellent, I’m just back and must have been bitten a couple of times. Will be more prepared when back in September !

Europe
Level Contributor
39 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes in Albufeira?

Just a little tip I always find good is to start taking antihistamines around 10 days before you're due to go away.I do this every time I go away and so far I've avoided the Mosquitoes biting me.........or maybe they do bite me but I have no reaction to them because of taking the antihistamines.

Edited: 23 May 2018, 17:09
Reply to: Mosquitoes in Albufeira?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira