We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring a push chair/buggy to Bruges for a toddler?

London, United...
4 posts
Bring a push chair/buggy to Bruges for a toddler?

Hi, we are thinking of going to Bruges this summer and wll be bringing our not quite 3-year-old. What is push chair access like? Is it very restricted? Should we even bother bringing one? My daughter is a good little walker, but she does get tired.

Thanks.

Wingene, Belgium
Level Contributor
531 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Bring a push chair/buggy to Bruges for a toddler?

as a matter of fact: your question is similar to 'shall i bring an umbrella ?' lol

in bruges there are a lot of cobbles. but i see a lot of young parents walking around with a push chair ! of course the acces in shops is sometimes restricted but large shops have elevators...

and a push chair has advantages...(you can put your shopping bags in it)

enjoy your stay in bruges with or without .

Edited: 02 June 2011, 22:32
London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Bring a push chair/buggy to Bruges for a toddler?

Unless your buggy has very good "off road" suspension I suspect it will be more of a hindrance than a help as your daughter is old enough (and probably loud enough) to protest at being bounced about on the cobbles and there is a fair chance you are going to get frustrated with the wheels getting jammed in the cobbles.

If your daughter is happy to walk, with maybe the occasional shoulder ride or piggy back, I would leave the buggy at home.

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Bring a push chair/buggy to Bruges for a toddler?

Hi,

Both Dany and NettleLondon have a point I guess, so to make it easier for you here a few pictures of what our cobbles look like:

flickr.com/photos/…

this picture is taken on a bridge along Langerei and is a perfect example of Bruges' cobbles at their worst

flickr.com/photos/…

this is also taken in Bruges, but I can't pinpoint the exact location. However, these are the types of cobbles that you find all over town, including on the Market square, Burg square, Vismarkt, around the Church of Our Lady, Simon Stevin square, in Mariastraat, along the Lake of Love, along Dijver, the square in front of the train station.... the cobbles are small and flat, but sometimes the road is a bit bumpy because cobbles stick out. In general I think these cobbles are doable for a buggy and wheelchair.

www.google.nl/imgres…

Sorry for this long link, but this is the Bonifacius bridge, a very cute romantic little bridge behind the Church of Our Lady...as you can see, it's a disaster. Even I have difficulty walking over this, I always need to grab the railing. People have to lift their buggy (sometimes including the child) over this bridge.

www.google.nl/imgres…

Another long link, but this show you what the cobbles in the Beguinage (a must see in Bruges) look like. The cobbles here are old and pointy, this is not doable with a buggy / wheelchair.

fr.petrophoto.net/photo/normal/542-street.jpg

Here is Steenstraat / Zuidzandstraat. One of the main shopping streets, the other one is Geldmuntstraat / Noordzandstraat. They run parellel to each other from 't Zand square to the Market square. You'll most definitely walk in these streets. I'm showing you this picture to show you the sidewalk, I'm not sure if you can see it clearly. The sidewalks in Bruges all look like this one. Large, flat stones (not cobbles), sometimes a bit too far apart, but still easy for a buggy. As you can see the street has the small flat cobbles. You can use the sidewalks to get from A to B with the buggy, they can among others be found in the shopping streets, Wollestraat, along Dijver, along Rozenhoedkaai, in Katelijnestraat and in Mariastraat. These streets connect all major highlights.

…ketnet.be/wp-content/…tzand2.jpg

This is 't Zand square, where you can find several hotels, a lot of cafes and also the large tourist office. In the middle, as decoration, you'll again find those small, flat cobbles that are everywhere. But the largest part of the square is constructed with those flat, square tiles. 't Zand square is probably one of the easiest places for a buggy :)

itravelnet.com/photos/…begijnenvest.jpg

On this picture you see Begijnenvest. It leads from the train station to the Beguinage, and part of this road is asphalted. It's also a pedestrian zone. It's the only tourist place I can think of that is asphalted.

I probably forgot other places, but I hope this already helps you in making a decision. :)

To finish my reply here is a link to a Trip List I made:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24415-Are_we_t…

It's called "Are we there yet? Bruges 4 kids"

Kind regards,

Sabrina

London, United...
4 posts
4. Re: Bring a push chair/buggy to Bruges for a toddler?

Thanks all,

You've been very helpful.

M

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Bring a push chair/buggy to Bruges for a toddler?

I see the Google links aren't really working, you end up on the main picture site...so for the Bonifacius bridge click on the first picture. The Beguinage are pictures 4 till 9, and I wanted to show you picture 8.

Duxford...
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Bring a push chair/buggy to Bruges for a toddler?

Having just returned from Bruges with a toddler, 26 months, I would absolutely take a buggy, the cobbles were no problem what so ever.

SFx

London, United...
4 posts
7. Re: Bring a push chair/buggy to Bruges for a toddler?

Great! Thanks all.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Bring a push chair/buggy to Bruges for a toddler?

When my boy was 2 we went with a standard type pushchair with small wheels and also had no problems.

9. Re: Bring a push chair/buggy to Bruges for a toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 12:46