We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everybody advise fast train...

Ankara, Turkey
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Everybody advise fast train...

My friends advised me to go by train (from Brussels to Paris) but tickets are not cheap now. 120 euros roundtrip. I have car rent reservation for 5 days and it's a diesel and cost me only 150 euros. But I'm also aware that train takes 1hr20min but by car it's about 5 hours... Do you think that there's much to see on the road if you go by car or is it totally pointless?... plus I'll stay in the center in Brussels which I think is another reason to cancel the car rental reservation... thank you very much for any info and advise...

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,969 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Everybody advise fast train...

It can't possibly take 5 hours to Paris by car - it's only 4 1/2 by coach (www.eurolines.be) so by car you should expect it to take 3 1/2-4 hrs, depending on where exactly you want to be in Paris.

However I would not personally want the bother and expense of having a car in the centre of Brussels or anywhere in Paris, and I wouldn't want to drive on the "périphérique" either (Paris ring road), which is one of the most confusing roads in the world in my opinoin. It's a lot easier (and faster) by train, but of course Thalys is not cheap, at least if you are booking any later than 2 1/2 months in advance of the date of travel.

The journey by road (or for that matter by train) is not in the least picturesque, I think the only place on the way that would be worth getting off the motorway for is the Château de Chantilly.

2. Re: Everybody advise fast train...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 02:52