We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basing in Brussels- Last minute

London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Basing in Brussels- Last minute

Hi

I want to book a very last minute Europe trip for a few days. My current plan is to travel to Brussels on Eurostar. From there I would do day trips to Cologne and Amsterdam. Am I right in thinking that I can get affordable trains from Brussels? Is there a rail card available?

I was thinking of actually basing myself in Cologne or Amsterdam, but Eurostar apparantly won't let me book an inclusive ticket there, and I think Brussels is more central for both.

And my final (naive) question is; having gone through passport control en route to Brussels, do I have freedom to travel through all European countries?

Cheers

Darren

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basing in Brussels- Last minute

< Am I right in thinking that I can get affordable trains from Brussels? >

For Amsterdam certainly; for Cologne probably - it may depend on day and time of day.

http://www.b-europe.com/Travel

< Is there a rail card available? >

No.

< having gone through passport control en route to Brussels, do I have freedom to travel through all European countries? >

All European Union countries, yes - assuming you have a UK passport.

Edited: 29 August 2011, 04:40
London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basing in Brussels- Last minute

Many thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basing in Brussels- Last minute

I'm looking at train tickets into Amsterdam which give me a price of 14euros. Will this price go up or can I still get it on the day? I don't want totie myself into travelling on a specific service.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basing in Brussels- Last minute

Eurostar have a good package with The Dominican. Once I arrive at Brussels Midi, is my best bet to take the train to Brussels Central, or make my way to the nearest metro, Brouckere?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basing in Brussels- Last minute

< I'm looking at train tickets into Amsterdam which give me a price of 14euros. Will this price go up or can I still get it on the day? >

"Summer deal" - Brussels to Amsterdam return for €29 but only until 31st August !

After 1st September - €49.60 return on weekdays; €46.80 return at weekends.

b-europe.com/Travel/Destinations/Amsterdam

Price is the same whether you buy in advance or on the day - but, if you buy the ticket from a ticket window at a station in Belgium, you pay a "service fee" of €3.50 on top of the cost of the ticket.

Above tickets at fixed prices are valid on the Inter City (IC) trains.

The high-speed "Thalys" has its own price structure and tickets for those trains do become more expensive the closer to your travel date that you book.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basing in Brussels- Last minute

De Brouckère metro station is closer to the Dominican than Gare centrale, so it would be better to take the metro (actually underground tram, lines 3 and 4) from Midi. When you come up from the tram at DB, you want the Métropole side of the Place de Brouckère, I'm not sure how it is signposted but if you are facing the ticket office/entrance to the walkway to the metro part of that metro station, it's on your left. If you happen to come up on the cinema side and see the Métropole across the road - just cross the road! If you come out of the right exit (next to Hector Chicken), walk straight ahead to the corner, then turn left, walk 2 blocks (crossing the pedestrianized rue Neuve), and rue Léopold will be on your right after you pass the Sterling bookshop. Note that Place de la Monnaie where the opera house is (the Dominican is behind the opera house) is a building site at the moment.

I don't know where you are seeing a price of €14 for Amsterdam (which website are you using?), but would guess that this is the "summer price" which may only be available until the end of August. IC ticket prices don't change depending on when you buy them, but according to when you travel, i.e. weekday/weekend or summer/rest of the year, whereas Thalys prices are like Eurostar, i.e. the cheapest ones sell out early. However, in both cases, if you buy tickets at the station rather than online, you will pay an administrative fee: €3.50 for IC, €7 for Thalys tickets. If "summer promotion" price no longer applies on your date of travel, a normal weekend/day return (IC - these are not offered on Thalys) costs around €40 (one is something like €39 and the other €42, but I can never remember which is which.. if you do buy from the station, the clerks are good at making sure you get the cheapest one applicable to your situation).

London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basing in Brussels- Last minute

Thanks guys.

8. Re: Basing in Brussels- Last minute

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 08:47