We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels safety

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels safety

I'll visit Brussels in October. My flight lands at 22:40, I plan to take that train to Gare du Nord and I'll stay a couple of block away from the train station. It's safe to take the train and walk late at night? Or should I avoid public transport.

Thank you

8 replies to this topic
brussels
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels safety

according to wikipedia (yes I know ) 'in 2016, Colombia had a murder rate of 24.4 per 100,000 population'...

and 'In 2012, Belgium had a murder rate of 1.6 per 100,000 population'

not sure what you mean by 'safe'...

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels safety

Why you're talking about Colombia? And who's talking about murder rate? The question was easy, should you take the train late at night or not? If you don't know, please don't comment

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
563 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels safety

I wouldn’t be in fear of my safety taking the train from the Airport to Gare Nord at any time of the day or night.

As for walking to your hotel. It depends where it is. On one side of the station there is a red light district if you have to go through there, it’s perhaps more ‘dodgy’ for want of a better word than dangerous but I’d probably suggest avoiding it it if it’s late at night and your first time in the city.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels safety

Thank you, I'll stay in an Airbnb at the corner of Rue du Progress and Rue de la Bienfaisance. That's the opposite side of the RLD, isn't it?

Europe
Level Contributor
6,452 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels safety

Yes, and it's only a few metres from the ramp that you walk down from to get from "station" level to street level.

After getting off the train, in the tunnel under the tracks, go right (facing the direction your train was travelling in). When you get to the main hall, turn left. That will take you to the exit that leads to that ramp.

brussels
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels safety

Your question is entitled Brussels Safety and you ask about safety in it. Your profile says you are from Bogota in Columbia

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
198 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brussels safety

Belgium is safer than Colombia. No need to worry.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,531 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brussels safety

My brother's wife is from Bogota and has never been a victim of crime there!

She feels less safe in Leicester where they now live!

Reply to: Brussels safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted