We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flights

Helsingborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting flights

I have never been to Brussels airport (CRL) before. We have booked really tight flights ( arrive at 10.20, next flight at 11.30) we have no checked in luggage. Now I’m panicking about making it . Do you have to go through passport control when arriving? Do we have to go out, and then in again? Through security? Some airports ( for example Copenhagen) you don’t have to do that, in which case it will be no problem.. but I’m a bit concerned...

Anyone have some experience of the airport?

We are flying from Denmark.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels Airport
Brussels Airport
Zaventem, Belgium
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
3 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,077 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting flights

CRL is not Brussels Airport, which is BRU, it is CHARLEROI Airport, aka Brussels SOUTH. And it sounds as though these are not in fact "connecting flights", on the same ticket (and/or PNR) but separately-booked flights, as I don't think you would otherwise have mentioned the fact that you don't have checked luggage. Anyway, you don't specify ticketing situation or even which airlines are involved.

In addition, no-one can answer your question about passport control and security without knowing where you are going. Which is also what will have made the difference when flying via Copenhagen Airport: it is not up to the airport whether these controls apply, it depends on whether you are coming from a Schengen or non-Schengen country and travelling to a Schengen or non-Schengen country.

Coming from Denmark (Schengen), you will have no arrival passport control at CRL but would have to go through exit passport control IF continuing to a non-Schengen destination. As far as I know, there is no airside connection between Schengen and non-Schengen sides of the airport, meaning that you would have to walk through baggage reclaim (even if you will have no hold luggage to collect) and exit to "landside" Arrivals, before going to Departures to re-enter "airside". And when you exit from landside back to airside, you will also go through security; plus exit passport control if departing to a non-Schengen destination, otherwise only boarding pass control.

If, on the other hand, you were travelling to another Schengen destination, it is possible (having never made such a connection at CRL I don't know, as I would have done for BRU) that you might remain airside and go straight to the departure gate for the second flight. I have a memory of being funnelled into an exit corridor after entering the terminal building, irrespective of destination, but of course I live in Belgium so I would have been following "exit" signs anyway... IF your destination is within Schengen, the question is whether, at CRL, there is an airside connection between Arrivals and Departures, which I don't know. (If it isn't, then I believe you will have to exit to landside - with no arrival passport control as still in Schengen - and go back in again, via exit passport control and security).

So basically, we need to know the destination of the second flight and which airlines are involved.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels Airport
Brussels Airport
Zaventem, Belgium
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Helsingborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting flights

Ryanair for both flights, Copenhagen- CRL then CRL to carcassonne, France..

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
France
France
Europe
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,077 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting flights

OK so you are staying in Schengen, and I read somewhere recently that Ryanair had started doing "connected" flights, so it is just possible that you have a CPH-CCF ticket with the same PNR - in which case, Ryanair would not have sold it to you if they considered the transit time at CRL too short. I also now think both flights will be to/from the same terminal, T1 though I can't confirm this from the arrivals and departures information on https:/…index.html and https:/…index.html (because I looked too late today to see arrivals around 10:20 and departures around 11:30, you can look for yourself tomorrow; however, INCOMING flight from Carcassone arrives at T1).

Anyway, the situation is already described above: if there is a connection between Arrivals and Departures on the Schengen side of the airport - which I think there now is in T1 - you will be able to stay airside and go straight to your departure gate, without either passport control or security; so the transfer won't take longer than about 10 minutes.

If there is no such connection (as there wasn't originally), you will have to exit to Arrivals, with no passport control, head for Departures and re-enter airside via security, also with no passport control. As long as the first flight is on time, 1h10 should be plenty of time even if you have to change terminals, as CRL is a small airport - used by only 7 airlines - and the terminals are next to each other. Note that even if you will have the boarding pass for your second flight already on departure from CPH, you will need to check the departure gate for CCF on monitors when you arrive at CRL.

FYI, T1 (all signs and arrows in orangey pink colour) is the original airport building - and the only one I have used - with 25 gates: I don't know where 1-6 are (most likely, arrival gates on a lower level), but I think 7- 18 are Schengen and 19-25 non-Schengen (and I see from the airport map - https:/…index.html - that there IS airside passport control for those transferring between these; that isn't relevant to you except that it means there is airside transit, so chances are good that you won't have to enter landside). T2 (all signs and arrows in greenish yellow), which opened last year right next to T1, has only 3 departure gates (26-28), for Schengen flights only, essentially at peak travel periods.

Reply to: Connecting flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted