We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train- assigned seating

Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Train- assigned seating

Hi everyone!

My family and I will be stopping in Brussels for a few hours on our way to Amsterdam next week. It is my understanding that our Thalys ticket from Paris to Brussels is good for continuing to Brussels by local train from Midi to Centraal, and I just have a few questions about the process.

1. Does it matter where we sit on the local train to Centraal? Is there assigned seating like on Thalys?

2. On the return trip from Centraal to Midi, can we just show them our Thalys ticket from Midi to Amsterdam and they'll let us board?

Thank you!

3 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
1. Re: Train- assigned seating

1. It's a 3 minute ride. And no assigned seating on trains within Belgium.

2. There are no checks before boarding. If they check the ticket on board during those 3 minutes, just show the Thalys ticket as you say.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Train- assigned seating

Not only won't there be assigned seating on the train from Bruxelles Midi to Bruxelles Central but, if it is a busy time of day, there may be no unoccupied seating and you will have to stand. Many locals prefer to stand for very short journeys like this anyway.

Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Train- assigned seating

Thanks everyone!

Reply to: Train- assigned seating
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted