We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Food shopping

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Christmas Food shopping

I'm over in Brussels for 4 days in Dec and will be doing the winter markets. But I also need to go food shopping for Christmas dinner as we live in Egypt. So best large supermarket, within a metro ride is fine, of Grand Place. Shopping list includes pork, parsnips, cheese and wine. Oh and a Christmas Tree ( but thinking I can get that poss at Winter Market?) thanks

6 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,231 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Christmas Food shopping

I have never seen Christmas trees, real or artificial, for sale at the Winter Wonders market (why do UK people always make "Christmas" etc. markets plural?!). Your best bet - assuming you don't mean a real one - would probably be the Christmas grotto at Galeria Inno in rue Neuve: I think it's in the basement this year. Or somewhere like Casa (there's one in the City 2 shopping centre next-door to Inno) or Blokker.

You should be able to get pork, parsnips, cheese and wine at any supermarket, large or small, e.g. the Delhaize at Bd Anspach 63 (near the Bourse) and Carrefour Express at Bd. Anspach 106, and then there's another Delhaize at rue du Marché aux Poulets 20 (and another at rue de l'Ecuyer 23, off Place de la Monnaie) and a bigger Carrefour in the basement of the City 2 shopping centre at Rogier (Rogier metro station, 2 stops from Bourse - closest metro station to the GP - on lines 3/4).

If you want a hypermarket, there is a big Carrefour at Demey: on metro line 5, direction Hermann Debroux, from Gare centrale metro station or De Brouckère (entrance on Bd. Anspach from Anspach shopping centre which runs between that street and rue des Fripiers, across from Place de la Monnaie), depending on which side of the Grand' Place you want to start from.

Although it's not a hypermarket, you could also find all the food and wine at the Match supermarket in the Stockel Square shopping centre which is attached to Stockel metro station, at the end of metro line 1. And exiting the shopping centre onto rue de l'Eglise, there's a branch of Casa if you turn left, and if you turn right into Place Dumon, an excellent market on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Christmas Food shopping

Thanks for the great information and apologies for my Britishness on plural markets.

On the point of Christmas Trees, I was hoping to bring a real one back with us.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,231 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Christmas Food shopping

OK, sorry I assumed this was to take to Egypt, when the airline might accept a small artificial tree in a box, but I didn't think you could take a real one. I presume you have a car (don't see you managing a real tree on the metro, bus or tram!) and are driving somewhere...

For a real tree, I think you'll have to get out of the city centre, although they are sold by Brico (https:/…) who have a branch (haha) at Bd. Anspach 43-45, which is between Bourse and Anneessens. Otherwise, if you are going to the Carrefour at Demey, when you come out of the metro station you pass a big Brico before you get to the supermarket (taking exit 3 on this map, the "shopping centre" on the left is Brico and the one on the right is essentially Carrefour: http://www.stib.be/irj/go/km/docs/WEBSITE_RES/Attachments/Network/Plan/Wijk-Quartier/Demey.pdf). If by any chance you are here on a Sunday morning, you should also find them at the Midi produce market (Avenue Fonsny next to Gare du Midi). But for the best trees, there is a tree-farmer who comes up from the Ardenne every year and sets up at "Porte de Tervueren", at the end of the Parc du Cinquantenaire near Mérode metro station; across from exit 4 on this map stib.be/irj/…Merode.pdf - I think he may start around 1 December, but will look out for details and post them here.

Edited: 19 November 2017, 23:30
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Christmas Food shopping

Brilliant thank you so much. Don't think the outbound airport will have the problem as normally it's bringing things into a country that is the issue. And it's all good to bring a real Christmas tree into Egypt ( well a couple of friends have been doing it for a few years) so hopefully it's going it will be fine. And if not I have a funny story to tell. Should be able to get the tree in the airport bus where the luggage goes shouldn't I?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,231 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Christmas Food shopping

Real Christmas trees sold here are pretty big, or at least the ones I have seen are. I don't know where you will be staying, but unless it's near Pl. du Luxembourg or Schuman, it seems unlikely that you will be getting straight on any airport bus. Normally you will first have to take the metro, on which you are not supposed to take any item larger than you could carry on your lap or exceeding 15 kg in weight. In practice, there is no problem with somewhat larger/heavier bags and suitcases of the sort that airlines commonly accept as hold luggage, but I have never in my life seen anyone try to bring a tree (or, for example, golf bag) onto the metro; and the luggage racks on bus 12/21 are designed for normal-sized bags, not cargo

Of course the airport doesn't care what you bring to check in and Belgian Customs doesn't care about Christmas trees, but airlines have rules about luggage dimensions which normally wouldn't cover a real Christmas tree in a net as opposed to a small artificial one in a box. I assume you have looked into that aspect, and are happy to pay excess baggage charges if required, and also to take an earlier bus than you would normally need, in case you aren't allowed on with the tree.

Edited: 21 November 2017, 04:40
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Christmas Food shopping

Thanks for all the info. MIDI market wasn't open on our last day so we bought the tree at carrfour hypermarket. And was not a big issue to bring it through the airport :) Christmas Tree is now happily set up in Dahab, Egypt

Reply to: Christmas Food shopping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted