We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?

'Bama
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?

Good afternoon,

It is my hope to rent bicycles near the train station for myself and my 13 yo son for use during our upcoming visit to Utrecht. Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock, or should I plan to bring those items with me?

Also, about bike helmets ... I looked at Google images for "people riding bikes in Netherlands" and ... not seeing folks wearing helmets. So, is it acceptable not to wear a helmet?

I am hoping we will ride to Castle DeHaar and maybe Kasteel Beverweerd or Kasteel van Woerden. Are there any parts of Utrecht we should avoid for either crime or heavy traffic reasons? Would hate to be the the clueless tourist that bicycled into The Netherland's version of Compton.

Dank je.

Mentioned in this post
Utrecht
Utrecht
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
24 replies to this topic
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?

“So, is it acceptable not to wear a helmet?”

More and more children wear helmets, but adults generally only wear a helmet if the go cycling together with a group of friends and pretend they are participating in the Tour de France.

So to answer the question in your topic title; rental bikes come with a lock, but not with a helmet.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 01:10
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,796 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?

More and more.....

Parents understanding what a side walk fall from a bike does to a young brain no doubt

'Bama
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?

Dank je for the information. I will be relieved to not have to wear the helmet. In US - if one rides without a helmet - it is looked on like you don't care about safety. I rode bicycles as a child before the helmets ... and it was fun. Wind through the hair and all that. I suppose the bike paths in Netherlands probably go a long way to preventing major accidents. If i were to ride in traffic with cars, then i would wear a helmet for sure. Or, the Tour de France. : ) Also, truthfully, I fell right on my head from a bike once as a child, standing on the seat and thought I could balance with no hands, and now 50 years later, I am still fine in the head. It's the car/bike accidents that seem to require helmets, maybe. Unless ... I'm wrong.

So - what about ... are there any high-crime areas of Utrecht province? Anyplace you would like to say - please don't ride your bicycle there?

Mentioned in this post
Utrecht
Utrecht
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?

You won't find any place like that in Utrecht.

Mentioned in this post
Utrecht
Utrecht
Europe
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?

Rental places that cater to tourists will have helmets available. If you want to be sure just contact them in advance.

Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?

Utrecht central station is a large construction site and sees huge amounts of cyclists. If you are not so used to biking in the Netherlands, that would be the one area I would try to avoid.

Mentioned in this post
K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?

Most bike lanes around Utrecht Centraal are now operational. You will get out of there, in a few minutes, and things are much better once you are 200 meters away in any direction from the Utrecht Centraal.

To cycle to De Haar or Woerden etc. there will be tens of possible ways.

When heading to De Haar - set your GPS (google maps) for Leidsche Rijn Centrum - take Yellow Bridge to cross the big canal - and stop there for some food, coffee etc. Brand new and coming up very well. You can then continue to Vleuten and Castle - its a fairly straight road then.

To go to Woerden, take the other route - which is Den Hommel - White Bridge to cross the big canal and then continue via De Meern and you will have a fantastic cycling route.

Either way - when you are returning from De Haar or Woerden - point your GPS to Maximus Brewery in De Meern. There is a big park with a long cycling track of 8-km circuit adjacent to this area - its called MaximaPark Leidsche Rijn. Around this track there is small rivers, forests, lakes, beaches and restaurants and many such things. You will inevitably end up on this circuit if you are getting to the brewery.

Adjacent is a free museum showcasing a 2000 year old Roman Barge discovered when building that area. If it is open, its worth a half hour look inside.

Once you are there at the brewery - get a few nice pints of craft beer - you would have earned it. And then return to wherever your accommodation maybe.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 13:22
Mentioned in this post
Utrecht
Utrecht
K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?

You may not find it unless looking for it - so I am posting a link to MaximaPark mentioned earlier. Dutch site - but you can translate and at least look at the photos.

https://maximapark.nl/?q=galleries

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?

Most people do not wear helmets but more and more people are these days. Rental bicycles come with locks but you may have to ask for a helmet. Bicycling is an absolute joy in The Netherlands. Just BE CAREFUL AT ALL TIMES. I was hit broadside by a speeding taxi in Amsterdam but thankfully I only had a badly scraped knee and a shoulder injury that took years to heal.

Bad areas in The Netherlands? There are no such areas. Even if you went up to the baddest of people and started insulting them without provocation at most they would say something like "If you don't stop ve'll crush a biscuit in front of your face".

Edited: 03 August 2018, 13:35
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,332 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?

>>"If you don't stop ve'll crush a biscuit in front of your face".<< ha ha- WTF does that mean?

Reply to: Does bike rental generally come with helmet and lock?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted