We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kings day 5 day trip plus another destination

Bowral, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Kings day 5 day trip plus another destination

Hi Everyone,

A group of friends and myself are looking into booking a trip for King's day next year 2017. I imagine we have to book now for any chance at a good deal! We are all Australian, living in London, in our mid-twenties.

Since King's day is on a Thursday next year, and the following weekend is a long weekend with the 1st of May a public holiday for us Londoners, this will turn into a 5 night trip, leaving London on Wednesday evening after work and then flying back Monday evening. May as well make the most of a long weekend when you're already in Amsterdam, right?

But 5 days will be a tad long for Amsterdam, I've read- does anyone have any suggestions so we could break it up 3 nights in Amsterdam, 2 somewhere else? I've read Belgium is lovely, but as a group of mid-twenties guys/girls it sounds a little too romantic and picturesque- perhaps somewhere to visit alone with my boyfriend another time! The same issue with the Dutch countryside daytrips, as beautiful as it all looks. Don't get me wrong, we aren't party animals, but we do enjoy a drink and perhaps something more lively to experience. So my ideas are Berlin (quite far though- but for the nightlife and amazing history), Prague, Paris, or maybe up north to Copenhagen, or to Poland. Don't want to waste too much time traveling for only 2 nights, but keen to get the destination right. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience that they could share with this? Would be willing to do an overnight sleeper train even!

Also, any info on King's day would be so appreciated. It looks manic. But a must do! My boyfriend and I were in Amsterdam this year for EuroPride which was really awesome- the canal parade was so cool. The Dutch really know how to party!

As you can probably tell from my long winded message is I'm a little lost in a sea of choices- any and all advice or knowledge or imparting of your experiences will be really appreciated.

Harriet

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,912 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Kings day 5 day trip plus another destination

My understanding is the sleeper trains are no more.

My suggestion would be to stay in Amsterdam and take day trips. You would have a multitude of choices. Late April is a great time of year albeit a bit crowded.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

2. Re: Kings day 5 day trip plus another destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2017, 10:46