We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 25 days, 7 cities, 5 countries. Final report

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
137 posts
356 reviews
Trip Report - 25 days, 7 cities, 5 countries. Final report

I planned our European vacation with the help of The Man in Seat 61 (train travel), Rick Steves guidebooks, Trivago (accomodations),Trip advisor reviews and Trip Advisor forums.

Day 24. We arrived by train from Berlin to Schiphol airport. We were booked into the Ibis Schiphol hotel and hopped on to their free shuttle. I had received an email from Ibis offering online check in. Once at the hotel we went to the side desk and were handed our room key. Very efficient. TA reviews say the rooms are small and they are. But we're only here for one night and it has all the amenities needed. It's far enough from the airport that you don't hear much air traffic. There are a few restaurants at the hotel and we chose to eat at the burger diner - burger & fries! Very North American.

Day 25 Sept 29. A breakfast buffet is offered at the hotel for 17 Euros each. The room is very large, staff are attentive and friendly and there is a good selection of breakfast items. Enjoyed a leisurely meal then caught the shuttle back to the airport. Once through security we did some last minute shopping then boarded our KLM flight for home.

Overall impressions. Cities visited - Amsterdam, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Krakow and Berlin. Favourite things? Food, beer, scenery, history, architecture, charming Salzburg, fabulous Krakow, friendly Amsterdam, efficient train system, bakeries, live music everywhere.

Dislikes - too many bicycles in Amsterdam and fear of getting run over! Will avoid Krakow airport in future. I dislike the fact that I'm back home and it's snowing out.

We will definitely be returning to Europe. I think next trip we'll spend more time, maybe a month or more in one place. Take day trips from there. But who knows. We're game for anything. Thanks to all who took the time to read my reviews. Thanks again for all the advice from TA. Ciao!

Uncover Lab
Gift & Speciality Shops
Sterre Der Zee
Gift & Speciality Shops
TAA Store
Gift & Speciality Shops
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,618 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report - 25 days, 7 cities, 5 countries. Final report

I enjoyed all your reports. It's nice to hear that you found Amsterdam friendly, still. I fear that we maybe getting close to a tipping point on that front.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,417 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report - 25 days, 7 cities, 5 countries. Final report

Thanks for sharing....enjoy your memories and get all excited about planning your next trip!

3. Re: Trip Report - 25 days, 7 cities, 5 countries. Final report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2017, 10:46