We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I go Amsterdam or Paris first?

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
Should I go Amsterdam or Paris first?

Hi,

We are planning to go both place .. but cant decide .. from 24th Dec - 3rd January ..

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I go Amsterdam or Paris first?

Spend the second part in the place where you get better hotel deals. I would say Paris may be more festive or crowded. Check accommodation which is a major driver of such decisions. There is enough things to do in both places.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I go Amsterdam or Paris first?

I would say, New Year's Eve in Paris. In Amsterdam it is one big 'warzone' of people lighting their own fireworks while drunk. Dangerous. Accidents do happen, to bystanders as well. Last year a friend of mine came back inside with a black smear on her cheek from a stray arrow that had got caught in her scarf still burning, luckily she had been able to loosen it and throw it away quickly or she might have lost an eye.

Although there is also one organized fireworks show at Oosterdok. I think near there not so many locals will play with their own fireworks.

Try to fly open jaw: fly into one city, fly home from the other. So that you don't have to do the train journey twice.

Read about the trains here: www.seat61.com > third drop-down menu. Buy your train tickets when they are released 3 months in advance to get the best deal. (But Thalys has also been having special deals / releasing tickets 6 months in advance, maybe because of the attacks... So check a few times in the coming year.)

During Christmas a lot of museums in Amsterdam remain open. I don't know about Paris.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I go Amsterdam or Paris first?

Id follow the advice KK gave and check average hotel prices first.

It's easy to get a feel for prices by looking on Priceline express deal. Check out 4-5 star hotels in the Jordaan zone, dam sq zone, museum zone-----the costs you see $$ vs $$$$$-----should help you decide.

Check a few dates to get a feel.

For me I always go to amsterdam last when I have a two city trip. I always want AMS to look forward to. So I always would do AMS last. First and last if possible.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
1,707 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I go Amsterdam or Paris first?

I agree with John--sightsee in Paris first and relax in A'dam at the end.

I have a trip like that coming up next month--a week in London and 2 weeks in A'dam. Ah.......

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I go Amsterdam or Paris first?

+1 on saving Amsterdam for last. You always save the best for last! ;)

California
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I go Amsterdam or Paris first?

We always save Amsterdam for last. Our favorite city of so many we have been to. Also, we seem to find that there are lots of flights home from Amsterdam compared to other cities. Frankfurt has many but who wants to spend a week in Frankfurt compared to Amsterdam? Paris is just too big for us and to get to many places by metro, or by train, you seem to walk forever. Easier walking in Amsterdam.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,991 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I go Amsterdam or Paris first?

Which place are you staying longer at? I'd go there first especially after a long flight.

California
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I go Amsterdam or Paris first?

Jordan that's actually the best advice.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I go Amsterdam or Paris first?

Probably a good idea to ask this in the Paris forum as well. You are now getting answers from biased Amsterdam-lovers only :-)

In the Paris forum they might say: "save the best for last, Paris!"

Anyway, I stand by my remarks about NYE being a messy business over here.

Edited: 28 May 2016, 00:03
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I go Amsterdam or Paris first?

Amsterdam first and then Paris. Save the glitz of Paris to cherish the wow factor. Amsterdam will feel scaled down if done in the reverse order.