We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport and itinerary

Jakarta
Level Contributor
69 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Transport and itinerary

Hi there,

Me and my family are planning to visit Amsterdam this summer. We will arrive at Schipol at 13.00. And we will spend the next 2 full day in Amsterdam.

I need some advise about a few things :

1. We're are not a huge fans of museum, so we're going to visit only 1 of the museum. Which museum is the best to visit? Between Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum or any other suggestion?

2. Where can we buy souvenirs with good price?

3. Which transport ticket should we buy? Just a GVB ticket or I amsterdam city card?

We will take canal cruise, go to rotterdam, go to Zaanse Schans, also to Volendam.

4. Is it possible for us to do all of it? Museum visit, canal cruise, rotterdam Zaanse Schans and Volendam.

Look forward for any suggestion.

Thank you,

Rose

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Rijksmuseum
Rijksmuseum
38,359 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Van Gogh Museum
Van Gogh Museum
52,967 Reviews
Zaanse Schans
Zaanse Schans
6,285 Reviews
Zaandam, The Netherlands
Volendam
Volendam
K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport and itinerary

1. If you visit only one museum then Rijksmuseum will be the best as it has a really great collection.

2. There are souvenir shops everywhere in the central areas including inside museums. You should think as to what it is that you would like to have? There is a big range of things from Amsterdam you can buy - from fridge magnets to something truly special for signifying a trip to Amsterdam. Maybe an original etching of Amsterdam? Maybe a painting by an unknown artist?

3. You may not need a local transport ticket, as within two days in Amsterdam you want to go out to three places which are not in Amsterdam. (Zaanse Schans, Rotterdam, Volendam???)

Buy whatever transport you need for the trip, for tram, bus or train. No pass covers all these places. Buy your canal cruise directly with the canal cruise operator.

4. No not possible in 2-days to do those places well and also see anything in Amsterdam.

Edit: well you can do parts of these things - the day you arrive, visit Rijksmuseum and do a late evening canal boat trip. Next day - you can opt to go to Rotterdam and Kinderdijk - forget Volendam and Zaanse Schans in that case. Or do the other way around. Or skip Volendam altogether.

Spend one day in Amsterdam for other activities which are plenty!

Edited: 11 May 2016, 13:14
Mentioned in this post
Rijksmuseum
Rijksmuseum
38,359 Reviews
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Zaanse Schans
Zaanse Schans
6,285 Reviews
Zaandam, The Netherlands
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
Volendam
Volendam
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,994 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport and itinerary

Unless you have a pressing need to go there then drop Rotterdam. 2 days is not nearly enough to do what you want.

If you are not fans of museums then why do you want to go to one? Anyway if you pick one then I agree the Rijks.

Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport and itinerary

I agree with Ronaldo.

Leave Rotterdam be for now. You don't have enough time, and it's a more 'difficult' city to appreciate (requires more planning).

If you don't like museums, then don't go to a museum. Especially not one that is very 'museum-like'. There are also museums which are not about pictures on a wall, for example NEMO Science museum is fun, Scheepvaartmuseum tells you all about our maritime history in a very interactive way, Dutch Resistance Museum is very good, Tropenmuseum about cultures and anthropology is interesting (probably also has a lot about Java and Dutch colonization).

But again, if you don't like museums, don't spend money and time on one. Amsterdam is one big open air museum, the 400 year old canal belt is UNESCO world heritage, so you can just walk around and enjoy that. And the Jordaan area is also lovely. You will also bump into plenty of nice shops and cafes and hidden courtyards.

I don't know what you mean by 'next 2 full days'... is that day arriving at 13.00h also a 'full day' in your mind (so basically 1.5 days)? Or you have that half day + 2 full days after that (2.5 days)?

I think Volendam would also be too much of a detour by public transport, unless you book Zaanse Schans + Volendam + Marken as an organized bus tour: https:/… (it might feel a bit rushed, but at least it's a good way to see a lot of places in a short time)

You can buy souvenirs all over town, and at Zaanse Schans, and even in the airport if you forgot anything (or if you find it more practical to shop there and fill waiting time that way), and they're not more expensive there either.

What transport card you need depends on where your accommodation is. If you stay in central Amsterdam you can do most by walking, except Zaanse Schans and Volendam of course.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
NEMO Science Museum
NEMO Science Museum
3,718 Reviews
Tropenmuseum
Tropenmuseum
989 Reviews
UNESCO World Heritage Kinderdijk
UNESCO World Heritage...
2,376 Reviews
Kinderdijk, The Netherlands
The Jordaan
The Jordaan
10,031 Reviews
Volendam
Volendam
Zaanse Schans
Zaanse Schans
6,285 Reviews
Zaandam, The Netherlands
Marken
Marken
1,125 Reviews
Marken, The Netherlands
Jakarta
Level Contributor
69 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport and itinerary

Many thanks for all the information. What I mean with the next 2 full days is we are going to spend 2.5 days in total. day 1, landed at Schipol at 13.00. And then we still have 2 more days to explore Amsterdam. At the 4th day, we will leave Amsterdam. So, in this case, is it possible for us to visit volendam ?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport and itinerary

Buy a guided tour for Volendam, Marken, Zaanse Schans and it would be the most time-efficient way to manage those places. You can check Viator for a possible half-day tour. Do it first thing on day-2 and then remaining time in Amsterdam city for other places.

As I said in the first post, you can manage to make it to one museum and a canal boat ride first day afternoon-evening and then you are done with much of what you set out to do.

Mentioned in this post
Volendam
Volendam
Marken
Marken
1,125 Reviews
Marken, The Netherlands
Zaanse Schans
Zaanse Schans
6,285 Reviews
Zaandam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam City Tours
Amsterdam City Tours
423 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport and itinerary

Viator might be more expensive and you may end up with the same tour that I already mentioned in post 3 by Tours & Tickets.

Edited: 11 May 2016, 19:05
K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport and itinerary

I also expected Viator to be more expensive - but they have the identical price €49 - although Viator may be selling the same trip even - as they do not have their own tours.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport and itinerary

Ah, thanks for looking it up KK. Yes that is what tour operators tend to do, no matter where in the world: sell their tickets for group tours, and then pool all their customers together in one and the same tour. Sometimes they're all the same price, sometimes not... but it happened to me many times that I thought I booked to go with company A, but ended up in the jeep or van of company B with other people who booked at company B or even at company C. And some of those companies may be nothing more than resellers.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36,737 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport and itinerary

"Unless you have a pressing need to go there then drop Rotterdam. 2 days is not nearly enough to do what you want."

My thoughts exactly especially going with a family.

Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Jakarta
Level Contributor
69 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport and itinerary

Wow....many many thanks for all your information. Very helpful. Thank you so much. So, maybe I will consider to take that tour from Viator or other (which ever cheaper) and leave out rotterdam for now.