We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another hotel question!

TMR
Florida
Level Contributor
139 posts
15 reviews
Another hotel question!

Hello,

We will be coming in to Amsterdam on May 25th for one night only. Leaving on a cruise the next day.

We would like something centrally located for seeing some sights.............we love to walk, especially in a new city, but would also like to be convenient to the port the next day, hopefully just a quick cab ride away,

Would prefer to stay around $200 if possible, but if not would still love some suggestions.

Thanks so much!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,678 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Another hotel question!

It's an expensive night. I look at opaque deals as do many others here.

I see a highly reviewed 8+ four star in the lovely museum zone for $162 usd

I also see an 8+ 4 star for $199 usd in the royal palace dam sq zone.

These will be quality hotels

If interested I will go on

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Another hotel question!

Pay attention to John. He knows his stuff!

And don't worry about being close to the terminal. Amsterdam is a compact city so almost anywhere you stay will be a convenient taxi ride away.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"--Mark Twain

TMR
Florida
Level Contributor
139 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Another hotel question!

Thank you, John.

I have limited experience with the opaque deals, so welcome your assistance.

I have noticed that May 25th seems higher than other nights.........is there something going on that week?

Whatever info you can share will be greatly appreciated-

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,678 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Another hotel question!

I use Priceline express deal because I am so comfortable with it. Others use Hotwire Hot Rate. Many use both.

Similar models.

I went to PL ED and put in your date. I got a nummber of opaque offers in a variety of zones.

I look at Jordaan Zone, Royal Palace Dam Sq Zone, Museum Zone, and Canal Belt East. I ignore the rest.

I also look for 8+ and higher review scores when I am suggesting this way of booking for others. I myself would have no problem with most 7+ and one of my best stays was in a 6+

Stay with 8+ If you can.

It's a no brainer for me-----I can pick a very highly reviewed 4 or 5 star in the zone I pick at possibly 2 star prices.

As long as its a high quality well located hotel well below cost I don't care which hotel it ends up being.

But if I did care I could most likely figure it out or narrow it down. If I did care .

In a moment I will post for you a recent thread of advice

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,678 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Another hotel question!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18859…

Here you go

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Another hotel question!

By following the advice in post # 4 and # 5 you will be able to find an upscale 4-5 star for reasonable prices in this expensive timeframe.

TMR
Florida
Level Contributor
139 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Another hotel question!

Thanks so much...............I will work on this today and hopefully come back with good news!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,678 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Another hotel question!

If in doubt ask questions. If still in doubt ask more questions.

TMR
Florida
Level Contributor
139 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Another hotel question!

John

You are very generous with your time and knowledge..........thank you!

I am looking at something on Express Deals:

4 star

8/10

Museum Park-Vondelpark for $162

Any chance this might be Sir Albert or Hotel JL?

Also, if I did not choose to do opaque, do you have any suggestions for me?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,678 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Another hotel question!

Well because that $162 4 star has a suite option I know it's not the Nh Museum Quarter .

So it could be the Park Hotel.

Id double check if either of those two hotels above do not have a suite option. You could then rule them out.

As to other suggestions like booking direct for that date? Yes raise your budget . If you don't raise your budget you might be able to get a decent 3 star for $162 by booking direct. Might?

You could forget looking at a well located 4 star in the center without raising your budget.

It's hard to beat an opaque deal as far as value and price. And that $162 opaque deal in the MZ was one of the less expensive ones.