We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Watergraafsmeer a good neighborhood?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Is Watergraafsmeer a good neighborhood?

Hello,

I'm currently trying to decide on an Airbnb and our options are very slim due to our budget range and last minute booking. We have a pre-approved place in Watergraafsmeer, but it doesn't seem to be a great neighborhood based on what I googled so far.

Should we just go with it? Any insight on the safety and feel of the neighborhood would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
1. Re: Is Watergraafsmeer a good neighborhood?

That is a very big neighborhood (by Amsterdam standards), which part /street is the apartment in?

Most of it is a little upscale. Lots of families with young kids live there; other areas are predominantly populated by very old people.

Someone I spoke to who lives there even called it 'the green grave' because it's so green and village-like but also quite dull and sedate. ;-)

Depending on which part you'd be in you are either close to or far from the center, and near practical public transport or not.

Edited: 08 April 2016, 00:24
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,559 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Is Watergraafsmeer a good neighborhood?

Covers quite a large area in the east of the city so perhaps if you mentioned a street name?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,721 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Is Watergraafsmeer a good neighborhood?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18859…

Any time I look at lodging and it starts with how easy the train, tram, metros, or taxi is to get into the center from the hotel I stop reading.

If I can't walk everywhere it's to far out for me.

That said see the link above.

If it's a budget issue only and if you are open to a hotel we can often find very good deals at way below regular costs. But for that we would need exact dates.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
4. Re: Is Watergraafsmeer a good neighborhood?

P.S. In case you're here for King's Day on the 27th, Bredeweg / Hogeweg has one of the nicest King's Day celebrations in town.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,913 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Is Watergraafsmeer a good neighborhood?

If you're on AirBnB, the box on the map at the bottom will usually always give the street anme.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
116 posts
6. Re: Is Watergraafsmeer a good neighborhood?

I don't know if you're on your trip or not but we're currently there and we're currently in that neighborhood and its phenomenal from what we've experienced

7. Re: Is Watergraafsmeer a good neighborhood?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2016, 00:45
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
8. Re: Is Watergraafsmeer a good neighborhood?

[I don't know if you're on your trip or not]

Yeah who knows what happened to the OP! One of those many posters who posts and never comes back... Maybe she got swallowed by a monster!

@miabear, have you tried the brand new Tropencafé yet, in Oosterpark? It's part of Tropenmuseum. You can enter it from the park side (behind the round children's pool). It's lovely!

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
116 posts
9. Re: Is Watergraafsmeer a good neighborhood?

We did not try that but did spend a lovely night at Elsa's. Tomorrow we head to MAASTRICHT!!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
10. Re: Is Watergraafsmeer a good neighborhood?

Ah, another lovely cafe. And another lovely city! Over there it's quite customary to receive a free bonbon / chocolate with every coffee / tea you order. I hope you end up in the places that still have that custom! Unfortunately my favorite cheese & wine cellar there no longer exists.

Have fun.