We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay

3 posts
Best area to stay

We are booked up for Amsterdam in March for 3 night, what is the best area to stay? With only a limited time we are looking to be within walking distance of as much as possible. While we want to be central we don't want to be staying in an area which is party central, So any recommendations of specific streets or hotels and advice of what to avoid would be appreciated. Thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
1. Re: Best area to stay

Stay in Centrum, but avoid the red light district.

Google Maps will tell you what the center is, type 'amsterdam centrum' in the Maps search bar.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Best area to stay

From our Top Questions.....

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c156882/Amste…

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,767 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Best area to stay

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/Map.html

Anywhere within this map should work for you. Avoiding the busy eceletic but safe red light district is good advice.

In fact the venue you stay in is more important than the area as long as it's within that central area.f

We now and then will see those who have never actually stayed in the center or never been to Amsterdam at all suggesting far out of the way places to stay :-)

Places like the airport, distant office parks with no eateries or bars etc near them, , the Rai area :(

Listen to the experienced regulars here and stay where you don't need trains, trams, metros, night buses, or taxis to get back to your hotel at 1:45 am. Stay where it's a nice short walk. Stay where you actually came to visit.

The center of amsterdam is lovely, safe, interesting, and fun.

Besides depending on your budget (and dates) we may be able to help you score a central well located hotel well below regular cost. We normally can.

Edited: 04 November 2015, 17:02
3 posts
4. Re: Best area to stay

thanks for the replys, ill get searching now.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,767 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Best area to stay

Tell me your dates and I will search as well

3 posts
6. Re: Best area to stay

3/3/16 to 6/3/16 we will be looking for two rooms with two adults in each, we also have a single traveller staying for two night from 4/3/16.

Thanks for your help

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,583 posts
81 reviews
7. Re: Best area to stay

LOL where can I get one of those t-shirts. I need one!!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,722 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Best area to stay

;-)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,767 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Best area to stay

Go to Priceline express deal ( or Hotwire secret hotel ) and you will see what I saw but maybe in pounds.

For your dates I see several well located in the center well reviewed 4 and 5 star hotels double rooms. They cost from $90 usd a night ( 81 euros?) to closer to $140.

You may see some cheaper options. You don't want to be stuck out in some office park miles from the city. You want to be sure about the zones.

Jordaan zone, canal belt east zone, dam sq Royal palace zone are what you want. . Maybe you might want to consider the museum zone.

If you go this route my advice is to make one purchase with the two double rooms that are there for the whole time. Then right after make the reservation for the single travler . Make the buys all as close to the same time as possible.

You don't want to risk different hotels or a deal that is no longer there.

1 post
10. Re: Best area to stay

Great thank you that's very helpfully.