We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Currency exchange

Hello;

did anybody have a previous experiences and changing dollar to euros once you arrive to Europe , I was thinking maybe do it in my bank here in US then waiting to get there and will be more expensive. I know in Amsterdam, they have a place call pott change and apparently they do not charge a lot of fees .

can anybody help me with this subject.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,512 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange

the best method is to make withdrawal from your debit card at the ATM upon arrival. if you change cash you can do it at the bank window as soon as you enter arrival hall. and yes, potts on damrak is considered the best private currency exchanger in town...as far as rates go i do not know if they are good or bad..i never care about that when i change money. i just know doing at the hotel is worst way to do it.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange

Wait till you get there. If possible, use a credit card (make sure there is no foreign transaction fee) for purchases and a debit card for cash withdrawals. Otherwise do as you say and use Pott Change.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37,714 posts
625 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange

Use your ATM or get maybe a 100 Euros to 200 Euros to start with before you go.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,317 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency exchange

I just use ATMs.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency exchange

Thanks everybody for your coments

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency exchange

hello, steveftw

when you said arrival is at the airport or you mean in any atm machine in the city (ams) or it will be the same .airport or not

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,512 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency exchange

if i have cash to exchange i do it at the bank window just as you step into arrival hall at the airport. if i am using debit card to get cash i use airport ATM when i arrive and get subsequent cash i might need in town at an ATM

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency exchange

thanks so much

K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency exchange

Use ABN Amro ATM or counter wherever you can. The rates are as good as they can be.

10. Re: Currency exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2016, 09:47