We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legality of Tourist and Coffee Shops in amsterdam

3 posts
Save Topic
Legality of Tourist and Coffee Shops in amsterdam

HI, I am wondering if anyone knows if theres been any change in law regarding tourist buying "soft drugs" at the age of eighteen and older in licensed coffee shops. can we still do this? or do we need to be a citizen? does anyone know who I can contact regarding Netherland law? I don't want to voilate any in my visit.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,118 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legality of Tourist and Coffee Shops in amsterdam

At least 18 yo by law and you can enter. Have a valid ID such as a passport. Some shops may have an older age limit by choice. the shops take this very seriously so if your Id is not right you will not get in.

And no in amsterdam there was no change as far as tourists and coffeeshops like was expected.

Edited: 17 September 2015, 07:01
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,118 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Legality of Tourist and Coffee Shops in amsterdam

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com

Here you go. Check out the map.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Legality of Tourist and Coffee Shops in amsterdam

The regulations changed nation-wide but Amsterdam and many other cities refuse to implement it.

What it comes down to is that as a tourist you can still buy 5 grams.

Edited: 17 September 2015, 14:17
Bacolod, Philippines
Level Contributor
200 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Legality of Tourist and Coffee Shops in amsterdam

Im just wondering, do they mix the "drugs" in the coffee when you go to these coffee shops? we wish to visit these shops but we absolutely dont want any trace of any prohibited drug in ourselves as we have death penalty and harsh punishment for possessing drugs in our country...

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Legality of Tourist and Coffee Shops in amsterdam

They don't mix it in coffee! Unless you go to a wrong coffee shop and then wake up hours later in a bath filled with ice missing a kidney. JUST KIDDING!!!! But seriously I don't know how much second hand smoke you could breathe in while sitting in a coffee shop which would lead to a positive test of thc in blood or urine.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Legality of Tourist and Coffee Shops in amsterdam

do not visit a Coffee Shop which sells weed, instead get your cofffee drink (capuccino, latte etc.) at Cafe's.

There is a funny distinction !! avoid the ones like those listed in below article.

amsterdamtourist.info/things-to-do-in-amster…

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Legality of Tourist and Coffee Shops in amsterdam

I saw that "bathtub full of ice" in a kevin smith movie once, ever since then i've been terrified to fall asleep in front of strangers.

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Legality of Tourist and Coffee Shops in amsterdam

Thank you very much! your map helps!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,118 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Legality of Tourist and Coffee Shops in amsterdam

Lenny, I once looked up this second hand smoke issue and a positive THC test after. It looks like you would have to spend hours inside a phone booth with a couple of tokers.

Someone sitting inside a coffeeshop is not going to have a positive urine test after.

For me the real issue that can trip you up coming home is dirty clothes.

The night before I fly home I go thru every piece of clothing I have worn twice. I make sure there is nothing in them. No half smoked joints, no seeds, no nothing.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Legality of Tourist and Coffee Shops in amsterdam

i do the same even do laundry

the day before i go home