We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Holland!

Nelson Bay...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Visit to Holland!

I'm travelling with my husband and two friends next year to England. We will also be going to Venice and Sorrento and Paris. We will be stopping in Nederland for a few days as my parents and two older sisters were born there. What would be the best things to see? Is there somewhere with history re the Royal family as my Opa did work for Queen Julianna on her yacht The Piet Hein (might be spelt incorrectly). Also we are juggling ideas re driving, training or flying to Venice any help here?

We would have about four days between Amsterdam and Venice. We are travelling from Australia end July returning mid September.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
1. Re: Visit to Holland!

"Is there somewhere with history re the Royal family as my Opa did work for Queen Julianna on her yacht The Piet Hein"

Maybe the royal palace Soestdijk where Juliana lived?

https://www.paleissoestdijk.nl/het-paleis/ge…

https:/…Soestdijk_Palace

The Piet Hein ship is available for rides but I don't know what is required. http://www.piethein.nu/index.html

If you open those web pages in Google Chrome (not Internet Explorer or Firefox or other) they will automatically be translated.

For Amsterdam - Venice I'd look into flights on www.skyscanner.com (maybe no tickets available yet for summer 2016).

Or you can look into trains but it's a long ride with changes: seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-…

Going by train offers you a good opportunity to include Paris (see 'option 4' on that seat61 page I mentioned).

Driving probably isn't a valid option because one-way drop-off charged can be staggering (if in another country), and it's a long ride including some mountains.

Edited: 11 August 2015, 15:30
Nelson Bay...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Visit to Holland!

Thank you for your reply. All of your information is really useful to me. Cheers Shirley.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
12,046 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Visit to Holland!

I'm seeing flights for €45 from Amsterdam to Venice on Transavia and for €78 on EasyJet. Vueling also flies that route but with 1 stop. Several low cost carriers in play.

Consider that against a much longer (and probably more expensive) train trip. But you would probably route down through the Inn Valley of Austria up through the Brenner Pass into Italy, down to the Po Valley over to Venice. It is one of the most gorgeous trips in the world.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"--Mark Twain

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Visit to Holland!

What will be your travel itinerary?

Are you arriving from Australia in the UK?

Thello has a night train between Paris and Venice. https://www.thello.com/?iLangID=3, do have a look at the seat61 website mentioned by Cecilia.

Are you planning on visiting the town ( which town ? ) in which your parents were born? We might be able to give you some suggestions on things to do there.

Nelson Bay...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Visit to Holland!

Thank you for your reply. I have been looking on sites re rail travel and it does sound a it confusing getting on & off at different points and flying would be cheaper but I've seen photos of beautiful scenery on the train and since this may be our only trip to Europe may consider rail but obviously would like to travel in daylight. Cheers Shirley. Ps yes I am travelling from Australia

Nelson Bay...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Visit to Holland!

Dad grew up in Rotterdam and mum in Amsterdam. Mum was born in leewaarden? Friesland. I do intend to see the house where they lived in. If time permits may go to Friesland

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: Visit to Holland!

I usually advise those who are here for a few days only to spend their time in Amsterdam but a trip to Friesland visiting the former house of your parents should be worth it skipping a day in Amsterdam ;-)

It's easy to travel to Leeuwarden by train but in order to fully enjoy Friesland's sights a car would be ideal.

If you do plan a visit to Friesland in the future let us know so that we can recommend some places to visit.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
8. Re: Visit to Holland!

That Piet Hein ship appears to be docked in Rotterdam but I may have misremembered. Didn't read in full detail.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,943 posts
662 reviews
9. Re: Visit to Holland!

"We will be stopping in Nederland for a few days as my parents and two older sisters were born there. What would be the best things to see?"

depends on interest and depends on where in the Netherlands you want to go.

Nelson Bay...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Visit to Holland!

After reading your post I think Friesland will be on the agenda, even if it means staying an extra day! My sister is actually going to Holland in September this year and going to Friesland from Amsterdam in canals by boat a trip she remembers from her child hood doing with our grandparents.