We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer flight?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Beer flight?

I'm currently visiting Amsterdam with my mom, and we are looking for a place where we can try local beers and hopefully order a flight. I can legally drink here but not at home, so it's hard for me to be able to try a bunch of different things if I have to order by the glass/bottle because I'm not used to drinking a lot. We were looking at Arendnest but I read a review saying they don't serve flights :( anyone know of a good place? Thanks! :)

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Martine of Martine's Table
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, French, Dutch, European
Sweet Bob Amsterdam
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Brazilian
Mount Everest Tandoori
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Indian, Asian, Nepalese
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,031 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer flight?

Brouwerij 't IJ has flights. And a windmill

:-)

Here's a google search that should help

http://tinyurl.com/beerflightsamsterdam

Edited: 31 July 2015, 22:49
New Jersey
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer flight?

Thanks Pala. I've heard about Brouwerij 't IJ, but I know it can get very crowded and touristy so we were hoping for someplace else. I've been trying my own google searches as well, but not much is coming up.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer flight?

If you are not used to drinking I would not start by trying and mixing lots of different, often quite heavy beers. I'd just go to a beer cafe and ask the waiter / bar tender for recommendations. For example at In De Wildeman.

At De Prael their weizener is an 'easy' tasting beer to try in my opinion (one that most people will like), I believe the name is Heintje but check it. Blond beers also tend to be easy on the taste buds but a bit more bitter.

Or you can go to Troost, less tourists.

De Biertuin has loads of different beers from various countries. It does get crowded too but mostly with locals and expats.

Brouwerij 't IJ does get very crowded nowadays, unfortunately. They do allow you to try a sip of a beer from a small glass before you order a full glass. I'm sure in many other bars this is also possible if you ask for it. That would be safer than drinking the multiple liters in a 'flight'.

Mentioned in this post
De Biertuin
De Biertuin
346 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,967 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer flight?

There are so many good beer places in Amsterdam that it would be difficult to try them all. Delirium, Craft and Draft, Gollem, Beer Temple, De Prael,. You might be better going to somewhere like Hoppy Days where you can also eat and have a good selection of beers.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer flight?

I've been drinking beer 37 yrs and I've never heard of a beer flight ! Perhaps it's a USA term ?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer flight?

Beer flights is basically the beer equivalent of a wine tasting. Usually one will get 4 - 5 small glasses of different beers which together is about a pint. So its not a guzzle fest and its a great and fun way to taste small amounts of various beers. Perfect for even inexperienced drinkers given the small quantities of each glass in the flight

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,031 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer flight?

Lenny let me buy you a beer flight next spring.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer flight?

Only in a wine tasting you're supposed to spit it out ... ;-)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer flight?

Haha thanks again Pala! I don't know if I can handle four or five times sipping a few ounces. I've heard tasting different beers that way can really mess you up big time! :P

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer flight?

With age (and drinking) comes memory loss. About how hard it hit you during those very first weeks you ever started drinking. But I guess memory loss has many advantages. :-)