We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/air conditioning

California
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel/air conditioning

Our visit is just about a month away. I had two hotel reservations and realize I need to cancel one of them. After seeing a recent question about A/C I checked, and neither one of my choices have it. Is this a mistake for an early June stay?

I'll add that we're from a moderate climate with low humidity and rarely use A/C at home, but we have lots of windows with screens & usually get a nice breeze.

I've searched and found a couple of other hotels in my price range that have A/C, although I don't like them as much as my original choices.

Comments & opinions appreciated!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,488 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel/air conditioning

tripadvisor.com/…65965292

I have used AC in April and cracked my windows to sleep in Jan and Feb. Most folks would not need it for June. Most.

But then I am not most folks.

At some level this has more to do wih personal choice than the actual temp

Edited: 09 May 2015, 18:31
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel/air conditioning

I lived in northern Europe for six years with no air conditioning and can count on the fingers of one hand when I missed it.

“Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
California
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel/air conditioning

LOL Mr John I think that's the same thread that scared me! I think I'll keep the reservation even without A/C. Hopefully weather will be closer to average temp of 65F and not the high of 85F. Although I enjoy warmer weather, without proper ventilation in the room it might indeed be uncomfortably warm while trying to sleep or get ready for the day.

K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel/air conditioning

In my office there are at least 5 colleagues who immigrated from California during 2010-15 (previously lived and owned houses in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Mountain View etc.) I have not heard one of them over the last 5-years complaining about Amsterdam being HOT and UNBEARABLE.

I always hear them freezing and being blown by wind here regardless of which month it may be. Funnily one of them is Russian and used to live in a classified facility in far-east Russia in pre-Perestroika times. Another one is from Chicago of the famed minus 25 C outdoors and winds. So I find it funny people worrying about heat in Amsterdam.

The disclosure is that last few years we always somehow end up in Bavarian area during peak heat months of Germany which sometimes does get a bit much in comparison!! Still it was never incredibly tough to sleep in cottages etc.

Nevertheless, I still completely agree that if you pay for a room to not be stuffy then it better not be sealed windows that no fresh air can make it in.

Edited: 10 May 2015, 14:59
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Russia
Russia
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
California
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel/air conditioning

Well I hope it's not freezing in June ;-)

I've cancelled my 2nd choice hotel, which is also the one where reviews in the summer complained about rooms being hot. Sounds like my 1st choice has windows that open, and is in a quieter area so hopefully will be OK. I'll check the weather forecast a week or so before we leave. If it looks like a heat wave is coming I can always try to find a new one with A/C.

Thanks for the advice.

K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel/air conditioning

Not much of a heatwave I suppose yet - It is about one month since we had this interesting conversation.

Last Friday was when temp. did go up to 90F and then bang - a solid 30-40 minutes of hard shower brought it crashing down to 70F. We were on a 20km walk event with school kids and it was indeed quite hot after walking and running and jumping up and down a lot with children. But night was still chilled !

Hope you enjoy the weather - it would be interesting to see if the heat of next Friday (78 F) brings another round of showers and storm with it or not.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,023 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel/air conditioning

The weather has been really nice, dry and sunny this weekend. It was hot on Friday as K K said but the next day it was 18C down from 30c the previous day.

Looking at the forecast nightime temps are going to feel chilly rather than need A/C.

California
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel/air conditioning

The weather's been great and yes a little chilly at times. Our room has 2 huge windows that open so not stuffy at all. Love the location. Thanks for the help.

9. Re: Hotel/air conditioning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2016, 11:47