We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canal tour

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Canal tour

Hello

We are visiting amsterdam on the 12th March for 3 nights, we have visited before but I was thinking it would be nice to do a canal/bus tour so that we can see and hear more about the area.... We did manage the Ann frank house the stadium and artis zoo on the last visit, I wasn't sure if a canal/ bus tour would be advisable ?? We do hope to take a day trip to zaanse schans this visit too ?? If a tour is advisable can you recommend one there are so many companies .... I was think a day tour where we can hop on and off ??

Thank you

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canal tour

The hop on hop off ones don't tell you much about the city and are much more expensive than taking trams, and have longer waits. Just do a regular one hour canal boat tour. The cheapest ones leave from Damrak (Plas is the cheapest); Blue Boat is another good choice if you don't mind the extra cost but want an open back of the boat, and headphones with your own language only, instead of 4+ languages over the speakers.

A bus tour in Amsterdam is not as nice as a boat tour; boats can go through the most beautiful parts of the city and the views from that angle are also much nicer.

You can visit Zaanse Schans by taking public bus 391 from Amsterdam Central Station to Zaanse Schans. Bus ride is 40 minutes and it stops very near Zaanse Schans. www.dezaanseschans.nl/en

http://www.bus391.nl/

If you haven't been to Rijksmuseum yet, that is well worth a visit.

Cecilia // Amsterdam

http://cile.home.xs4all.nl/

Edited: 09 March 2015, 03:46
Mentioned in this post
Damrak
Damrak
418 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Zaanse Schans
Zaanse Schans
6,468 Reviews
Zaandam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam Central Bed and Breakfast
Amsterdam Central Bed...
111 Reviews
Rijksmuseum
Rijksmuseum
39,092 Reviews
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canal tour

Thank you Cecilia for your advise we will go for the 1 hr boat tour .

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37,749 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canal tour

Also do the boat tour when it is light outside. We did an evening one and while it was good, I think you get better picture quality when it is light outside.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,513 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Canal tour

really the best time is around dusk. still light enough to see the architecture but dark enough where the bridges are lit up. as mentioned, any canal cruise about the same. i like blue boats because of the open stern in nice weather...but so does everyone else. so be positioned in line so you can make a run for the back of the boat.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,823 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canal tour

If you are only going to do it once I agree with Steve-----do it at dusk.

It's magical

6. Re: Canal tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2016, 09:47