We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dutch Breakfast

Lakeland, Florida
14 posts
Dutch Breakfast

Hello,

Just curious as to what a typical "Dutch breakfast" is. It's been mentioned a lot in my search for hotels, some include it and some do not. We chose The Bridge Hotel in Amsterdam and breakfast is included.

I know it won't be bacon, eggs and hash browns, but would be nice to know. Thanks!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Dutch Breakfast

hello... its varies very much from hotel to hotel ...eggs,boiled or scrambled, some do bacon also. Ham, cheese and other meat cold cuts, cereal, yougart, jams ,honey , choc sprinkles,bread butter... all the usual stuff.Fruit juice, milk, Coffee, Tea etc etc.. Hav'nt seen any Hash browns but I expect there are some hotels that do them !!!

Most these days are buffet , help your self ..dont think you will starve !!!

California
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
2. Re: Dutch Breakfast

My 2 star hotel has this in it's included breakfast buffet: warm hard boiled eggs, cold cuts, cheese, bread (toast), tomatoes, cucumbers, a canned fruit- ususally pears or peaches, tangerines, cold cereals, orange juice, tea, and coffee.

Grand Lake, Colorado
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
3. Re: Dutch Breakfast

Hey, when i was there, we went into a place, and asked to see a breakfast menu. It was funny cause they automatically brought us out the breakfast like 5 minutes later. It was 2 hardboiled eggs, slices of cheese, bread, and tomatos. So make sure you are specific, cause that is what they will bring you. Apparantly that is "breakfast" gotta admit, it was delicious!

California
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
4. Re: Dutch Breakfast

I think I know what happened in your breakfast mixup redhairedgirl1. Restaurants often have a tourist menu, or a burger menu, or a chicken menu but what this is is more like a tourist meal (fixed menu) or a burger meal (fries and a drink included). If I remeber correctly at McDonalds in Amsterdam the meals are called menus, there's the Big Mac menu, Quarter pounder menu etc.

I wonder if your waiter heard breakfast menu and brought you the Dutch equivalent although as Americans we would describe it as the breakfast meal or breakfast special.