We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam

London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Amsterdam

I'm visiting Amsterdam in March and was hoping to gain to useful information in advance. I'll be staying very close to the Amsterdam Arena and would like to know the best way to get there from the Airport. I'll also be visiting the Van Gogh museum and some other attractions and I'm curious to know how best to travel there from the hotel (Close to the Amsterdam arena). + anything else a first time visiter would find useful knowing if possible. (Travelling on my own for the first time so a little bit nervous about getting around.)

Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam ArenA
Amsterdam ArenA
1,088 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Van Gogh Museum
Van Gogh Museum
53,020 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam

Use www.9292.nl/en to plan door to door public transport.

Don't miss a 'cultural' visit to the Amsterdamse Poort shopping center and to try some Surinamese food.

See www.iamsterdam.com for more info about highlights and such.

Cecilia // Amsterdam

http://cile.home.xs4all.nl

Edited: 18 February 2015, 04:03
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdamse Poort
Amsterdamse Poort
115 Reviews
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,176 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam

If you use Google Maps, it will provide excellent up-to-the-minute information for publice transportation. Just type in Amsterdam Arena (or your address) and Schiphol Airport and then click on the "bus" icon. About 20 minutes. Narrative directions will be given as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/BI3kC

Do the same process for the Van Gogh:

https://goo.gl/maps/9WzJm

If you have a smartphone and want to save Google Maps offline so you don't need WiFi or data, here is how to do it:

https:/…

I would suggest "What is there to see and do?" under the topics to your upper right on this page.

No need to be nervous - just relax and enjoy the process. You CAN"T get lost.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam ArenA
Amsterdam ArenA
1,088 Reviews
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Hotel Van Gogh
Hotel Van Gogh
1,012 Reviews
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,821 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam

The 300 bus, direction Amsterdam Bijlmer Arena, is without question the way to do this. It leaves every 6 min and will take you there in about 40 minutes. Where you want to be is the last stop. Also, you can simply pay the driver.

As far as i am aware there are only two hotels at the Arena, the Holiday Inn and the Hampton by Hilton. I assume you are staying at one of those? If so, you'll pass the Holiday

inn on your left just as you are reaching the Arena. Simply walk back from the bus stop. It will only take a few minutes. If you are staying at the Hampton, once off the bus, walk into and through the train station. The hotel is on the square at the other side of the station.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Hampton by Hilton Amsterdam / Arena Boulevard
Hampton by Hilton...
2,041 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,023 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam

If you are really from London then travelling around Amsterdam will be pretty easy. It is a fraction of the size.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
exmouth
Level Contributor
101 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam

Hi

Looks like the train to centraal station and tram down to the arena....buy a pass at the airport for travel unlimited

for your stay...its cheap enough, do "check in" ...thats offer your ticket to the reader on the bus, tram etc and you get a bleep...same as you get off and you get a double bleep to acknowledge...if you don t you ll void your ticket...every bus/tram/train has a tv on board telling you your route arrival time and where you are as you go....dead easy really...after 12 at night theres night buses only so don t use taxis as it ll cost 50 euros to get home at least from the centre

have fun

bob

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,176 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam

<Looks like the train to centraal station and tram down to the arena....buy a pass at the airport for travel unlimited>

?????????????????????

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam

Tanks for all your answers.. Been very helpful.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36,652 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam

Well how long are you going for?

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam

Will be there for 2 nights.

10. Re: Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2016, 11:46