We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there something happening?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
82 reviews
Is there something happening?

Hi Guys,

I hope someone out there knows the answer. We have been looking at hotels in central Amsterdam for a 3 day visit around December 14th this year. I have short listed six hotels, however nearly every one of them is showing no availability around that time. I am now wondering if there is something happening in Amsterdam at that time which would cause hotels to be fully booked so soon. Any ideas? Or is it just normal to be busy in December? Thanks for any input.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
1 review
1. Re: Is there something happening?

Which hotels are on your short list?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
2. Re: Is there something happening?

And where does it say no availability? Some intermediate booking site? They may not give out hotel rooms that far in advance? What if you contact those hotels directly?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
82 reviews
3. Re: Is there something happening?

I always book directly with the hotel. It is each hotels own booking site that is showing no availability for those dates for at least four of my six "chosen" hotels. Just wondering if anyone knows if there is an obvious reason that I am not aware of as I would have thought booking in February for a December visit would yield plenty of choice. (It certainly does for the other places I am visiting which is why I am wondering if there is some sort of event happening) .The hotels I have looked at so far are the Toren, Sebastians, Convent -McGallery, and Estherea. I assume there will be rooms in the city as I have not checked every single hotel in Amsterdam- but I did find it odd that my first four choices were showing up as fully booked already.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,912 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Is there something happening?

Nothing special. Too soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
5. Re: Is there something happening?

I was looking at the INK Hotel MGallery Collection (Convent) the other day so thought I would put in a stay of 12, 13, 14 December for you and I can see availability.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,577 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Is there something happening?

Apart from the Convent they all seem to be on Hoteliers.com booking engine and I suspect there is an issue on their website. For the Estherea There is no availability from at least October! It is available on booking.com though. I would contact the hotels directly and inform them of your issues or just wait until they sort out the booking engine.

The Convent seems to have been renamed again by Accor to the INK hotel and you can book on their website

accorhotels.com/gb/…index.shtml

Edited: 07 February 2015, 15:30
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
7. Re: Is there something happening?

Checking an impersonal booking tool is not what I meant by "What if you contact those hotels directly?"

Contact is contact. With a person.

S J
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Is there something happening?

Convent Hotel is closed currently and undergoing major (really major!) renovation/reconstruction works.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
8,072 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: Is there something happening?

As Cecile says, phone or email the hotels directly. Many of their online booking facilities only function for six months ahead,

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,742 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Is there something happening?

It's not unusual to see this-----no rooms-----when booking months and months in advance.

Not sure what the rush would be to book a room so far in advance unless you are saving significant money.