We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning about purple amaryllis in flower market

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,888 posts
149 reviews
Warning about purple amaryllis in flower market

We bought two very big amaryllis bulbs in the Flower Market in Amsterdam when we visited in December. The bulbs where more expensive because the flowers where going to be purple. My husband warned me at the time that I had no way of knowing the colour. My husband was right, the bulbs now have pink flowers.

So, just to let visitors know that it is not worth paying more for bulbs when you do not have any guarantee of the colour

Very disappointing, but these guys at the flower market are on to a good thing with tourists.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,851 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Warning about purple amaryllis in flower market

Unfortunately the flower market has a bit of a bad reputation for their products Frances-Jane. It's a bit of a tourist trap so your hubby was right.

Is there something special about purple amarylis?

Edited: 17 January 2015, 17:50
Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,888 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Warning about purple amaryllis in flower market

Never seen one before. They all had little tickets inside them to note they were purple.

We have bought bulbs there before and quite often they are not the same colour as they were suppose to be, but they are always better than the ones you can buy in the U.K.

I just thought I should warn people that they should not pay extra for these bulbs. We only saw them on one stall, so easy to know where they are.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
12,058 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Warning about purple amaryllis in flower market

What a great post!

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Warning about purple amaryllis in flower market

Visited the flower market this morning and they were trying to sell bulbs for blue tulips to me. Blue tulips only exist by photoshop :-) (and the time for planting tulips is long over so the bulbs they sell won't be blooming at all)

Don't buy your bulbs at the flower market and please buy them at a well known bulb seller if you want them to bloom in the color that you pick. The flower market is a great place for buying all other souvenirs and watching the bouquets of flowers who are already in bloom.

Singapore
Level Contributor
39 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: Warning about purple amaryllis in flower market

I saw a few pots of amaryllis with a flower bud at a florist in munich at 5 euros each. Its very cheap compared to 17 euros equivalent for the same plant in singapore.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Warning about purple amaryllis in flower market

In my neighborhood market a stem with a flower was just 1 euro.!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,712 posts
7. Re: Warning about purple amaryllis in flower market

surprisingly the tulip bulbs i buy at my local gardening center bloom to look just like the tulips in the NL. when i was a young ,naive traveler to the NL i bought the bulbs and most were rotten. i do not buy them anymore.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,888 posts
149 reviews
8. Re: Warning about purple amaryllis in flower market

The bulbs I bought, although pink and white, have now flowered three times and the last time is the best with huge flowers four on each side. So, they have lasted from January until now.

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Warning about purple amaryllis in flower market

four on each side? Really! The best I've ever had was one on each side, four total. Sounds like a super plant despite the colour being wrong.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,888 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: Warning about purple amaryllis in flower market

Sorry two on each side so four. I was thinking of the two of them flowering together, so eight flowers.