We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long layover - 1st time in Amsterdam

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
179 posts
520 reviews
Long layover - 1st time in Amsterdam

We are a family of four (2 adults & 2 teenage girls) traveling to Amsterdam for the first time on June 9. We arrive in Amsterdam at 08:20 and depart at 20:55, so we have 12 hours in the city. We would like to see the Anne Frank house, Grayline Canal cruise and thinking about a free walking tour at either 11:15 or 14:15. We are planning on purchasing our tickets to the Anne Frank house before we leave.

If we plan on the Anne Frank House first, what time should I book tickets? I'm not sure how long it generally takes to get through customs and into the city.

Could we make the 11:15 tour, or should we do the canal cruise first and then take the 14:15 tour?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,577 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Long layover - 1st time in Amsterdam

Wheels down to Amsterdam central is normally around 90 minutes. I would do a canal tour first to orientate yourself to the city. Have some lunch then the 14:15 tour then AF.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
179 posts
520 reviews
2. Re: Long layover - 1st time in Amsterdam

Perfect - thanks

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,381 posts
660 reviews
3. Re: Long layover - 1st time in Amsterdam

I agree I would do Anne Frank House later as you never know if your flight would arrive late or not.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
179 posts
520 reviews
4. Re: Long layover - 1st time in Amsterdam

Excellent point - I honestly hadn't considered that.

How long does the Anne Frank House take to tour?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,695 posts
5. Re: Long layover - 1st time in Amsterdam

most people do it in an 1 to 1 1/2 hours..

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
179 posts
520 reviews
6. Re: Long layover - 1st time in Amsterdam

Thanks again, that is what I will plan for.

7. Re: Long layover - 1st time in Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2015, 11:46