We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Nights in Amsterdam

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
2 Nights in Amsterdam

I am planning on visiting Amsterdam for the first time in May 2015. I will have two full days in Amsterdam and I cannot extend my stay. What are the must-see things for a first-timer. I am not travelling on a budget. I was planning to see some of the Rijksmuseum and Van Gough museum since I love art. I mostly wanted to walk around the city. I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Rijksmuseum
Rijksmuseum
38,409 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
23 Reviews
from US$ 20.80*
Amsterdam Canal Cruise and Skip The...
102 Reviews
from US$ 37.50*
Free Cancellation
I amsterdam Card - City Pass for...
631 Reviews
from US$ 70.20*
Free Cancellation
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,510 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Nights in Amsterdam

Take a look at the top questions to the right. Lots of good info and suggestions.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Nights in Amsterdam

This itinerary suggestion for 2 days should get you started. iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…48-hours

I would spread those two museums over two days, especially Rijksmuseum is huge. You could spend 8 hours there and still not see everything.

You may also want to visit Rembrandt House to see where he lived, it also has sketches by his hand (no paintings).

If you're into photography, then check out what exhibitions are on in FOAM and in Huis Marseille.

In my book Anne Frank House and doing a canal boat trip are definite must-do's. Buy tickets for Anne Frank House in advance to skip the ever long queue.

Walking around the city is indeed a highlight as well, I suggest the Jordaan area and canal belt. May will have long daylight (depending on when in May), but it's also safe to walk around after dark, it looks like a fairytale then.

Have fun,

Cecilia // Amsterdam

http://cile.home.xs4all.nl/

Mentioned in this post
Rijksmuseum
Rijksmuseum
38,409 Reviews
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Anne Frank House
Anne Frank House
52,506 Reviews
The Jordaan
The Jordaan
10,050 Reviews
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36,652 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Nights in Amsterdam

Must see things are different for each, but since you are interested in art then those two museums are a good start.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
35 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Nights in Amsterdam

Hi. My family and I will arrive be in Amsterdam on 30th and 31st Dec 2014. We are leaving Amsterdam by plane on mid-morning on 1st Jan 2015. Would be it practical for us to stay in a hotel nearby airport? We will arrive Amsterdam Central Station on 30th, we want to visit the city itself on both days and experience New year's eve celebration on 31st. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam Central Bed and Breakfast
Amsterdam Central Bed...
111 Reviews
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Nights in Amsterdam

Never ever stay near the airport if you have a chance to stay in the city center. That said, you might have a hard time finding a room this late.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
35 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Nights in Amsterdam

Thanks, ddavis1950.

Yes, I do have trouble looking for hotels in the city. So far, I found one airport hotel, walking distance to airport. Airport has has direct train to Amsterdam Central Station so I am not sure if this is convenient for us to travel and visit to the city in 2 days.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam Central Bed and Breakfast
Amsterdam Central Bed...
111 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Nights in Amsterdam

@Ganworld, your question has nothing to do with the original one, it is better to start your own thread.

Better stay in Leiden or Haarlem or Utrecht which are nice towns in their own right, and are 20-30 minutes by train from Amsterdam as well.

Don't stay in a kerosine smelling place with noise of planes!

Edited: 09 November 2014, 18:10
Mentioned in this post
Leiden
Leiden
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
Haarlem
Haarlem
Utrecht
Utrecht
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36,652 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Nights in Amsterdam

"Never ever stay near the airport if you have a chance to stay in the city center."

Yeah this is only practical if you have only 1 day and are leaving super early the next day.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
35 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Nights in Amsterdam

Thanks, @Cecile74 and @jordansbulls.

I will find one in the city center. Cheers!

10. Re: 2 Nights in Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2015, 10:46