We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which card for ATM: Chip&Signature or Magnetic Strip card?

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
294 posts
Which card for ATM: Chip&Signature or Magnetic Strip card?

The debit card I have is the Magnetic Strip type. The bank I have account with has no plan to make the Chip&Pin type card presently. However, it is to produce the Chip& Signature type before our departure for Amsterdam. The bank has warned me that the ATM may accept one kind but not the other.

Which card should I take with me to use for the ATM's at the Amsterdam Central Station? How about at Schiphol Airport? Thanks, Eric

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Which card for ATM: Chip&Signature or Magnetic Strip card?

Why not take both?

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
156 reviews
2. Re: Which card for ATM: Chip&Signature or Magnetic Strip card?

I used a magnetic strip card in the ATM in Haarlem in April. It worked just fine.

I did have to buy train tickets with cash, from the ticket window, since my credit card wouldn't work in the machine. Even on a Sunday, though, that was no problem.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Which card for ATM: Chip&Signature or Magnetic Strip card?

Be sure not to confuse Credit Cards with Debit/Check Cards. You don't really want to use your credit card in an ATM the cash advance fees and interest rates are very high.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Which card for ATM: Chip&Signature or Magnetic Strip card?

To answer your question, you use the ATM card you use at home. These aren't "foreign" ATMs. They're ATMs just like in the states.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
294 posts
5. Re: Which card for ATM: Chip&Signature or Magnetic Strip card?

Pala, you are right. Since the first thing I do upon arrival at a foreign country is getting local currency from ATM, I want to get answers only on debit card here for now in order to make the topic simpler. My debit card is issued by a US bank that still uses magnetic strip type card while the local (foreign) bank that owns the ATM has very likely adopted the EVM system and uses Chip&Signature (Chip&Pin) card.

Glad to hear from Emilysmom that she had no problem using the magnetic type in Harlem. How about at Amsterdam Central Station or Schiphol Airport? Anybody has experience? Thanks, Eric

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
16,166 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Which card for ATM: Chip&Signature or Magnetic Strip card?

I have asked at my bank before I used the lockers at Amsterdam Centraal the first time and they sent me the PINs for my credit cards. And I was told that some countries: UK, The Netherlands, France, sometimes Switzerland and Scandinavia very often request a PIN for paying with the credit cards but also for withdrawing money from the ATMs.

When I paid for my food at the BBrood shop/cafe at NDSM I had to give in my PIN too.

When I use an ATM in Germany with my DEBIT card I must always give in a PIN. Normally I don´t use a CREDIT card for that, much too expensive. But in most shops I can still (!) use both just with a signature.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 10:13
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
294 posts
7. Re: Which card for ATM: Chip&Signature or Magnetic Strip card?

Patara, it is good to know that not all European banks have adopted the EMV card system. Apparently, German banks still use the swipe card. Thanks, Eric

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Which card for ATM: Chip&Signature or Magnetic Strip card?

There is no chip/pin or chip/sig ATM debit card. ATM machines use strip cards, period. Full stop.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
294 posts
9. Re: Which card for ATM: Chip&Signature or Magnetic Strip card?

Pala, thanks for you clear answer. I thought that European banks use the Chip&Pin for debit card that is used for ATM, too. Eric

10. Re: Which card for ATM: Chip&Signature or Magnetic Strip card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 02:29
Edited: 05 September 2014, 02:29