We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heineken brewery tour with canal cruise

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
heineken brewery tour with canal cruise

Have a 7 hour layover in Amsterdam and we are looking to do the heineken brewery tour and a canal cruise. Ive read that the brewery tour includes a canal cruise. Just wondering if anyone has done this? Would you recommend a separate canal tour. How long is this boat tour through heineken?

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: heineken brewery tour with canal cruise

I suggest you read some reviews about the Heineken Experience, not everybody is enthusiastic about it.

Here's mine: members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1fddb4/

There are better ways to spend your 7 hours in my opinion. The canal tour indeed is one of them...

Just walking along the canals in the center and have a beer somewhere outside on a terrace would be my other favorite option. And it does not set you back 20 euros...

Mentioned in this post
Heineken Experience
Heineken Experience
20,923 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,531 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: heineken brewery tour with canal cruise

Entrance to the HE does not normally include a ticket for a canal cruise.

Tickets for the cruise are normally bought at the kiosk where the boats are located.

It's your time and your 7 hours. Spend them as you want. But I doubt you will find one poster in a 100 that thinks the HE is where someone should spend their time when in town the first time for such a short stay.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: heineken brewery tour with canal cruise

Agree with Pijlmans: Amsterdam is one of the most beautiful cities of Europe and in fact of the world, you should not waste your time in a totally uninteresting commercial exhibition.

Do a canalcruise (many are starting right outside of Central Station, which is 15 minutes by train from Schiphol Airport), and than take a walk along the canals. You wil come across hundreds of nice authentic café's to have a real Heineken in a real authentic Amsterdam 'brown' café while enjoying the stunning scenery and the special atmosphere.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 01:54
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Europe
Europe
World
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
717 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: heineken brewery tour with canal cruise

I've been the HE a few times, with different people, and can safely say that it's not where you want to spend your valuable limited time. It's fin as an attraction, but only as some place to visit during a longer stay. I'd just stay near Centraal Station and wander around the canals, perhaps have a meal/drink, tour the RLD etc

Mentioned in this post
Centraal Station
Centraal Station
13,405 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: heineken brewery tour with canal cruise

Hahaha, been there a few times??!! Damn, you are headstrong ;-)

6. Re: heineken brewery tour with canal cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 21:22
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: heineken brewery tour with canal cruise

Pijlmans, thank you for the link to your post on Virtual Tourist which is a TA affiliate. I have not yet visited the Brouwerij 't IJ for beer or a tour and was searching for places to visit that are small brew pubs / operators that produce and serve "craft" beer. I have of course been to the Heineken Experience and my exp. was that the museum is self-serve and the beer on tap at the end was the usual mass market variety. A waste of a few hours. I am looking forward to the Brouwerij given the excellent reviews on the quality of the beers I have read on beer aficionado websites.

Individuals:

Friday / Saturday / Sunday

3.30 pm – English tour, 4 pm – Dutch tour

Price per person: € 4.50 (incl. beer)

http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/homepage/home-2/

Mentioned in this post
Heineken Experience
Heineken Experience
20,923 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: heineken brewery tour with canal cruise

@CanadianBoys, Brouwerij 't IJ is lovely and has great beers. I am happy that more and more bars all over Amsterdam sell their beers, some even from draught. Another perk is that the brewery is right underneath a windmill. If you walk there via Entrepotdok you will see beautiful old warehouses now turned into homes.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 00:43
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
9. Re: heineken brewery tour with canal cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 09:46