We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1,5 day in Amsterdam, ideas & use of Disposable OV-chipkaart

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
105 posts
203 reviews
1,5 day in Amsterdam, ideas & use of Disposable OV-chipkaart

Hi all

I'm quite confused on how the "Disposable OV-chipkaart" is issued and used. I would aprpeciate your assistance on clarifying this, and your suggestions to the below request

Sometime between 20 to end of May I'll be for few days in Netherlands, more specifically on Noordwijkerhout.

a) what are your suggestions for a sightseeing in Noordwijkerhout or around it, having only 7 afternoon hours available for that? does a short visit to Keukenhof or Leiden or even Delf worthy during these 7 hours?

Then I'll spend 1,5 day in Amsterdam. More specifically, I'll leave my luggage on my hotel next to central station on 10:00 and leave for the aiprot on next day at 15:00.

I was thinking to leave on 10:00 and travel by bus to Edam-Volentam, then with the ferry to Marken, and come back to Amsterdam on 17-18:00. Then I will spend the rest of the evening and next day till 15:00 on sightseeng in the city, preferable by using a bike.

b) Is the Disposable OV-chipkaart for 24 hours the proper ticket for the trip Amsterdam-Edam-Volentam-Marken-Amsterdam? Or it is only valid for the city and not the regional buses?

c) If not, is any other OV card more applicable for this trip?

Thanks in advance for your replies

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
1. Re: 1,5 day in Amsterdam, ideas & use of Disposable OV-chipkaart

An anonymous OV.card costs 7,50 euro and then you still need to load it.

For such a short visit it may be better to buy a Amsterdam & Region Day ticket for 13,50 euro, valid for 24 hours, between airport, Haarlem, Amsterdam and the villages north of Amsterdam that you want to visit. You get a map with it that shows where you can go. Also valid on buses.

For a bus from Noordwijkerhout you can get a ticket in the bus. There's a bus to Hillegom, then by train to Haarlem in 10 minutes. or to Leiden which is a nice city.

I like Delft and The Hague more, but that's further away.

May be you can make a bicycle trip from Noordwjkerhout.

There's a wonderful bike route (just bikes and walkers, no cars) through the dunes , 21 km from Noordwjk via Katwijk to The Hague (Scheveningen). Between Katwijk and Scheveningen, in the nature area Meijendel is a nice pancake restaurant, www.meijendel.nl and you can reach Wassenaar with attraction park Duinrell.

Google Meijendel and these places for more info.

I live in The Hague so have been hundreds of times for walking, running and cycling in these dunes, quite a nice, hilly nature area and you can go to the beach.

Keukenhof closes this Sunday 18 May.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
105 posts
203 reviews
2. Re: 1,5 day in Amsterdam, ideas & use of Disposable OV-chipkaart

Many thanks for your reply and the useful info

As regards Keukenhof, and the fact it closes this Sunday, lets say that I want to go around Noordwijkerhout and see the land with tulips. Does it worthy to go till Keukenhof even if it will be closed? I.e will I have the chance when walking/biking to this route to enjoy the land with tulips?

From where can I buy the Amsterdam & Region Day 13,5 euro day ticket? At the airport or in Amsterdam? You also mentioned that is valid from the airport area. Does this cover the train from airport to Amsterdam Central? I understand that it also coveres the transportation within Amsterdam, right? Only the buses or trams and metro too?

Thanks for the informaiton re the interesting bike tour you mentioned. By the way, after reviewing it in google I just realised that Den Haag is not far away from Noordwijkerhout so it may be a very interesting tour for my afternoon free time.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,545 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: 1,5 day in Amsterdam, ideas & use of Disposable OV-chipkaart

There are no tulips. they have all been cut down weeks ago. You can find out about the Region ticket here

iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…region-day-ticket

Not valid on any train but is on the airport 197 bus.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
4. Re: 1,5 day in Amsterdam, ideas & use of Disposable OV-chipkaart

I love my town (The Hague) obviously. A very touristic sight is www.madurodam.nl

From 29 May to 9 June is the annual http://tongtongfair.nl in huge tents near Central Station, a big Indonesian fair with shows (Indonesian dances), shops and restaurants, a crowded gathering for the huge Indo community with a wonderful atmosphere.

Also: http://panorama-mesdag.com , The Gemeentemuseum, www.Omniversum.nl ( 45-minute nature films on a giant 210 degrees screen) . The famous www.Mauritshuis.nl ( 3 Vermeers incl. Girl with a Pearl Earring) will re-open on 28 June. Then there's www.escherinhetpaleis.nl , and tours of the Parliament and Hall of Knights by ProDemos (Hofweg 1 ,next to Cafe Dudok ) .

Delft is also great (tram 1 from The Hague centre).

Edited: 16 May 2014, 16:43
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
5. Re: 1,5 day in Amsterdam, ideas & use of Disposable OV-chipkaart

Here is a picture of that big TongTong fair : http://tongtongfair.nl/short-introduction

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
105 posts
203 reviews
6. Re: 1,5 day in Amsterdam, ideas & use of Disposable OV-chipkaart

I finally went to the airport and I asked for the Regional ticket which "dutchguy" mentioned in this topic. The cashier told me that there is no such ticket which can combine the train from the airport and whatever else I mentioned to him (marken, volendam and edam). So I went to the Central Stetion in the city and then I asked the bus cashier there. He told me that such ticket exists, only for the buses, and the price was 10 euro. So I used that option and I enjoyed my visit to these places.

Thansk all who replied to this topic

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
7. Re: 1,5 day in Amsterdam, ideas & use of Disposable OV-chipkaart

Thanks Dutchguy for the Tong Tong Fair tip! Being an 'Indo' I should definitely go there at least once in my life. :-)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,087 posts
229 reviews
8. Re: 1,5 day in Amsterdam, ideas & use of Disposable OV-chipkaart

On #6: you asked wrong question, nowhere here did we state that TRAIN is included too. Bus 197 from airport _is_.

What you got next day was the Waterland day ticket, valid solely for EBS buses in that region (not the bus to Zaanse Schans and not GVB city buses). Great for the needs of that day too, and sorry for the confusion caused by the plethora of offerings here ;-)

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

9. Re: 1,5 day in Amsterdam, ideas & use of Disposable OV-chipkaart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 10:47