We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam public transport

Czeck rep.
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam public transport

Hi! We are staying in Amsterdam 15.-20.5. and renting an apartment near the Olympic stadium. Coming by plane. Planning a trip tu Zandvoort by train. My question is about tickets for the local transport. I know that you can walk (almost) everywhere in Amsterdam but ...and I love trams! and anyway we have to get from and to the airport, also the Centraal Station is about 5 km from the apartment. We are planning to take bus 197 from and to the airport. If we want to travel in a cheaper way, I suppose we should buy a OV Chipkaart at the airport for 7,50 EUR and top it with the minimum of 20 EUR. Now I have read about some (Multi) day tickets for tourists, 6 days for 29,50 in our case. I do not understand if we also have to buy a Chipkaart before buying this multi day ticket. And can we buy it already at the airport to be able to use it for the bus 197? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Olympic Stadium Amsterdam
Olympic Stadium Amsterdam
103 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Zandvoort
Zandvoort
Centraal Station
Centraal Station
13,378 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,027 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam public transport

The multi day tickets are for GVB transport in Amsterdam. They don't work on the bus. The ov card will work though and €20 should be enough for the 5 days you are here. The €20 minimum is for train travel and I would just buy paper tickets as you go for that. For all other travel you only need a €4 minimum. If you use it on trains then you would need to load it with more than €20 i.e. the amount of the train travel plus €20. Not worth doing this.

The 197 bus should be around €2.50 each way with the OV card. Each trip into town on the tram will be around €1.50 or less.

You can load the 6 day GVB card onto an OV card if you buy one but that kind of defeats the object. So what I would do in your place would be just pay the driver for the 197 bus. Get a GVB 6 day paper disposable pass (no you don't need to buy an anonymous card) for unlimited travel on the trams/bus/metro and just pay at the train station to get to Zaandfort.

Mentioned in this post
GVB
GVB
2,593 Reviews
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
2. Re: Amsterdam public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 10:47