We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transit Visa at Paris

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
Airport Transit Visa at Paris

i am an Indian citizen who intend to return to India from a trip in US with a 4hrs layover at Paris Airport.Do I need an airport transit visa ?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Martine of Martine's Table
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, French, Dutch, European
Sweet Bob Amsterdam
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Brazilian
De Silveren Spiegel
₹₹₹₹, Dutch, European
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,318 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transit Visa at Paris

So why are you asking this on the Amsterdam forum??

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transit Visa at Paris

<I am an Indian citizen who intend to return to India from a trip in US with a 4hrs layover at Paris Airport.Do I need an airport transit visa ?>

This is actually the Amsterdam (Netherlands) Forum, so you are in the wrong place !

Read this carefully (French Government website) …gouv.fr/en/…what-type-of-visa-do-i-need-to

Especially this section: "If you are transiting through an airport in France to travel to an airport outside the Schengen Area without leaving the International Zone of the French airport"

India appears in the "Second group" of countries whose nationals *do* require an airport transit visa at French airports, unless they fall into one of the "exempt" categories listed ("Exempted by France from ATV are ... ").

The situation seems to be quite complicated. I advise you to contact the airline you are flying with, to ask them to check for you.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 22:07
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
France
France
Europe
INDIA
INDIA
151 Reviews
Rennes, France
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transit Visa at Paris

If you are returning from a trip to the USA then it is safe to assume that you hold a visa for that visit in the USA. According to these websites it largely seems you may be exempt from needing an airport transit visa in France. In most cases they list holding an American visa (not specified as a residence visa, just a visa) as being grounds for exemption for an Indian national. However, taking immigration and visa advice only on a travel forum, even from "experts" like us is never a great idea I would add. You should call a French consulate in the USA or ask your airline. And do read the following examples, as the fourth example, from the French consulate in Toronto gives a contradictory advice to the first three by mentioning specifically only residency visas as grounds for exemption. And that is why I say you should not take advice solely from this forum

From ambafrance-uk.org/Airport-transit-visa-11780 (in this example note the difference between "residence permit" and "valid visa" which would include presumably a valid tourist or business visa for the USA)

2. You do NOT need a visa to transit through the international zone of a French airport :

- If you are not a national from one the countries listed above ;

- If you are a resident in the United Kingdom, i.e. holder of a valid residence permit ;

- If you hold a valid residence permit issued by one of the European Union countries or by Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, Japan, Canada or the United States ;

- If you hold a valid visa issued by one of the European Union countries, or by Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Japan, Canada or the United States AND your are a national from Burkina Faso, Cameroun, Colombia, Ivory Coast, Cuba, Djibouti, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, India, Mali, Senegal, Syria, Ghana, Nigeria, Mauritania and Congo (Brazzaville).

From vfs-france.co.in/delhiairporttransitvisa.html :

Airport Transit Visa Exemptions

The following categories of Indian nationals are exempt from obtaining a Airport Transit Visa:

1. Holders of a valid Schengen visa, a long-stay national visa or residence permit issued by a Schengen State;

2. Holders of a valid residence permit issued by another EU or EEA State, Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino or the United States guaranteeing the right of re-entry;

3. Holders of a valid visa for another EU or EEA State, Canada, Japan or the United States, or on return after having used the said visa;

4. Family members of an EU citizen;

5. Aircraft crew members.

From www.consulfrance-washington.org/spip.php…

2- Do I need an airport transit visa ?

If you hold one of the following documents, you DO NOT NEED an airport transit visa, whatever your nationality:

- diplomatic passport,

- service passport,

- green card,

- re-entry permit (which is a specific kind of travel document ; the advance Parole is NOT a re-entry permit),

- residency permit in one of the countries of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra, Holy See, San Marino, Canada, Japan or the United States of America,

- expired visa issued by the United States of America in your passport.

OR if you are:

- a spouse or minor child of a European Union citizen,

- a flight crew member - national of a contracting party to the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation.

If you ARE NOT in one the above mentioned situations, you DO NEED an airport transit visa ONLY if citizen of one of the following countries:

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Chad, Cuba, Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Dominican Republic, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Haïti, India, Irak, Iran, Ivory Coast, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Senegal, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Togo and Palestinians holders of a travel document for refugee which has been issued by Egypt, Lebanon or Syria.

From www.consulfrance-toronto.org/spip.php…

Any traveler transiting through France in order to go to another country may require an Airport Transit Visa.

- If you are holding a valid Permanent Resident Card of Canada, or a valid Green Card of the USA AND you are not going out of the international zone of the airport AND you are holding confirmed airplane tickets (NO « stand-by ») AND your next destination after France is not a Schengen country, then, no matter what your nationality is, you do not need a Type A visa. You can transit without a visa.

- If you are not holding valid Permanent Resident Card of Canada, or a valid Green Card of the USA AND you are travelling with a passport from "one of the following countries" ("one of the following countries" is a link to www.consulfrance-toronto.org/spip.php… which includes India ) you have to apply for a Type A visa.

The Type A visa or Airport Transit Visa is a visa that allows you only to transit through the international area of an airport, without any possibility to enter the Schengen Space

Good luck

Edited: 04 May 2014, 22:22
Mentioned in this post
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,361 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transit Visa at Paris

Lenny -

You will forgive me if I don't read all that won't you? :-))

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Transit Visa at Paris

hahaha of course not but If you one day switch your nationality to one which is on these lists and then need to transfer in Paris, well then you're gonna come begging with the question if I recall this by then old post :P

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
6. Re: Airport Transit Visa at Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 10:47