We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoning hotel from amsterdam

8 posts
Phoning hotel from amsterdam

I will need to phone my hostel once i arrive and dont want to get a sim card

whats the best way about this

also if i was to get a sim card which is the best for 2 days mostly for data not minutes and texts

regards

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
223 reviews
1. Re: Phoning hotel from amsterdam

Maybe you could use a payphone for the call to the hostel on arrival, and just use wifi for data - many many places throughout the city offer free wifi.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
2. Re: Phoning hotel from amsterdam

finding a pay phone is tough now..probably some still in train station and airport..if you do go that route you would dial 020-xxx-xxxx

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,609 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Phoning hotel from amsterdam

You can get a 1Gb Lebara sim card at the aiport. You can use free wi-fi at Schiphol to skype call also.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
4. Re: Phoning hotel from amsterdam

Yeah use Skype and wifi. Get an account on Skype and put a little bit of money in it for making calls to land lines (at the local rate).

Which hostel nowadays requires a phone call by the way? Are they picking you up or something?

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
223 reviews
5. Re: Phoning hotel from amsterdam

Yes, Steve, it was at the airport I was thinking of for a payphone, but just realised op's other post's so looks like he may be arriving by bus;

Can you not text or email them? If not just load a few extra pounds for 1 quick international rate call to the hostel, and use free wifi for rest; 1 call will prob be cheaper than buying a new sim with minimum load for calls and data use.

8 posts
6. Re: Phoning hotel from amsterdam

Amsterdam crib owner wants us to phone as he is always "not at site"

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,937 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Phoning hotel from amsterdam

You cell phone doesn't have international capability? Might be a little more expensive but still better than other options or the hassle.

Try installing WiFi Phone which is easier than Skype.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
8. Re: Phoning hotel from amsterdam

If you decide on taking the Megabus, according to their website the bus arrives at Zeeburg Park&Ride (P&R) coach park. As far as I know there is no payphone or store where one can buy a local simcard. So better to use Skype or Wifi Phone if you can use a wifi network. If not then best would be to take tram26 to central station and check there.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 02:20
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
9. Re: Phoning hotel from amsterdam

You could always ask a local if you can use their cell phone for 2 minutes, for making a call to an Amsterdam number... I don't know how reliable you look ;-)

You could let them enter the number so that they know you're not making an international call; and somehow make it clear that you're not going to run away with their phone, for example by asking them to watch your bag for you.

Most of us have phone contracts with so many minutes included that we can't even finish them.

Or ask that hostel owner if a text message is not enough... that is what I did in Porto, similar situation... texting doesn't break the bank.

10. Re: Phoning hotel from amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 10:46