We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Amsterdam to Brugges

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
185 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Amsterdam to Brugges

Hi, I will be travelling to Amsterdam in end Apr for 8D7N. Planning to visit the Keukenhof, cycle at Bulbsfield, Volendam, Zaanse, Flower Parade, Citytour, Bruges, etc.

Found this Day Tour : viator.com/tours/…d525-2550LIN7

But can someone pls tell me if Viator is still active? I have sent them queries twice but did not receive any response. They mentioned 2h ours coach journey from Amsterdam to Bruges. Whereas online states train journey takes 3-4 hours! I don't understand.

Should I do a 2N stay over at Brugges or 1 Day tour is ok? I have a very tight itinerary.

Appreciate your response. Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Amsterdam to Brugges

My Dad did the bus tour to Bruges in one day, he said it was fine. I'm not sure about Viator, they are a booking company and I dont think they actually operate the tours but I'm pretty sure they are still in business. Most of the tours leave from nearby Central Station in Amsterdam. You can typically just go in one of the tour shops on Damrak and book it for the next day.

The train trip is longer because of the 2-3 transfers on the trains from Amsterdam to Bruges. Although you can get stuck in traffic on the bus.

Bruges is a very charming city but small. If your schedule is very tight I think 1 day is probably enough to see most of the main attractions.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,901 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Amsterdam to Brugges

I doubt if they can do this coach trip in under 3 hours. It's 250km so physically you would have to break speed limits somewhere.

Have you actually left any time for Amsterdam?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Amsterdam to Brugges

By car it takes about three hours. By bus it should be a bit more. Less is not possible. With traffic jams it can take up to 5 hours.

It is better to stay a night in Bruges, it is lovely at night and in the early morning.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Amsterdam to Brugges

I once did a daytrip to Ghent by car which is about as far as Bruges, but it was a crazy day with lots of travel time compared to the time spent there. And having the car we were able to go at about 7.30am (arriving around 11 am), and start driving back at 10pm (back well after midnight). Don't know if the bus will give you that much time in Bruges. And if you're up for such a long day just to see a cute town... The Netherlands also has plenty of those closer to Amsterdam! Just a bit less famous.

If you have the chance to stay overnight I'd suggest that, and visit Ghent as well. Great town, with a castle too.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Amsterdam to Brugges

P.S. Just so you know, 26th April is King's Day. Can be great fun but also a hassle, depending on what you need/ want to do that day. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k68965…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
185 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Amsterdam to Brugges

awesomeAMS : Hi, any idea which tour operator did your dad book with?

Cecile74 : Yes, I know about the King's Day :) but I am arriving at Amsterdam on 27 Apr fortunately and unfortunately haha!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
185 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Amsterdam to Brugges

RonaldoC : how much time do I need for Amsterdam city? I am thinking of doing the city on my 1st day of arrival - City Tour / Canal Cruise / Dam Square / Royal Palace / Church of Amsterdam / Red Light District / Leiden Square (pubs, bars, restaurants) / Anne Frank House

Or any suggestions?

Where can I take the Canal cruise?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
185 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Amsterdam to Brugges

Cecile74 : Ghent vs Brugges - which should I choose if I only have 1 day? Oh, I like castle visiting :)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Amsterdam to Brugges

Hmmm I'd still say do both Ghent and Bruges and take two days, you're traveling 3.5 - 4 hours one way just to get there (not yet counting time from hotel to station)!

But if you must choose then Bruges is more unique and picturesque, and you could visit Muiderslot castle near Amsterdam.

But again, the Netherlands also have really cute and unique towns that are much closer, if you were to visit any of the Hansa towns for example I'm sure you'd enjoy it just as much as Bruges only lose less time traveling. These towns were flourishing in the middle ages way before Amsterdam. For example Kampen is cute, big enough to offer variety, and can easily be combined with Zwolle, another medieval Hansa town. Zwolle is just over an hour by train from Amsterdam and Kampen just another short train ride from Zwolle. www.9292.nl/en for door-to-door public transport planning in the Netherlands.

By the way, one day for Amsterdam does not do the city justice and you might as well stay overnight in another city with cheaper accommodation.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 13:20
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,901 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Amsterdam to Brugges

Since you don't seem to want to see that much of Amsterdam I would not stay here. You would be better off perhaps in Rotterdam which would cut your travel time to places you did want to see.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 16:20