We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying bus/train tickets with credit card

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Buying bus/train tickets with credit card

I will be in Amsterdam for 1 night - family of 4 with kids 12 and 11. I will have a small amount of euros but trying to avoid carrying much cash so prefer to do as many transactions as possible with credit card.

Getting a little frustrated trying to sort out the Amsterdam transportation system and what will work best for my family so hopefully someone here can sort out my tangled thoughts.

We will arrive at 4pm at Schipol. Would like to head straight to Anne Frank House as quickly as possible as we will be cutting it close to get there by at least 6:00pm (for a 7pm close). We will leave our luggage at the airport baggage counter and travel with a backpack to move more quickly. When I plugged it into 9292.com, it looks like I will take a train (either intercity or sprinter) and then a bus/tram. Took a look at bus 197 but its just going to take too long.

I know I can get the train tickets at the airport. Is there any way to pay for bus/tram by credit card? and where would I go to do that? we will have a chip and pin CC so should be ok.

If I end up having no choice but to pay cash, do I have to have exact change? Can I pay for all 4 of us at the same time?

Returning to our hotel (Courtyard Marriott so about 10-15 mins away from Schipol), I'm not sure where exactly in Amsterdam we will be (As we will be wandering around after the museum just checking things out). Looks like we might end up in a spot where it will be more convenient to take a connexxion bus. (Bus 197 to airport, change to bus 300). Again, how would I buy this connexxion bus ticket?

The next morning, we will head back to the airport on connexxion bus 300 to catch our flight out.

I thought buying the region day pass for €13.50 each would work because it covers GVB and connexxion....but because it doesn't cover the train, it won't work out for us. also can't figure out how much kids cost or if it is just the same price.

I know I'm overthinking this so would really appreciate some help :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,197 posts
229 reviews
1. Re: Buying bus/train tickets with credit card

Hi there,

Debit card (Maestro) works almost everywhere here, CC not really. However the GVB ticket machines at larger places like Central Station do accept CC, and you could buye.g. the 24h card with that (not the region day pass, that's only sold at limited places not including the ticket machines). Connexxion tickets don't accept any CC payment as far as I am aware so that will still be cash...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,257 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Buying bus/train tickets with credit card

I don't know about Schipol, but most airports in Europe will not allow passengers to check luggage until maybe 3 hours before departure. If you are thinking of using luggage storage counter, you should be fine; but you probably will not be able to check your bags for the next day's flight.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,611 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Buying bus/train tickets with credit card

If you take the train then your 11 year old can get a railrunner ticket for the day for only €2.50. Everyone else will need full price tickets. I would just take the train to CS then walk or take a cab to the Anne Frank. Most taxi's will accept CC's but I would take cash with you just in case. with 4 of you it would be prudent to carry cash with you. What if you wanted to buy a snack or something?

You will definitley need cash for the busses if you don't have the area pass. If you do get the area pass, they sell them at the Connexxion stand and the Tourist Info desk at the airport, taking the bus into town will only cost you an extra 15 minutes as opposed to the train. I don't think there are any reductions for children on the 13,50 though.

You will be able to use it to get back on the 300 but to the airport then next morning. I'm guessing that the 300 bus will be around 5 euros return plus the 7,80 for the train. Perhaps the pass is the way to go. On the way to the AF you could pay a bit extra to just take the train to Lelylaan and then tram 17 which drops you by the Westerkerk next to the AF

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Buying bus/train tickets with credit card

The Courtyard Marriott runs a shuttle service at Schiphol from and to the hotel. If I am correct the last shuttle departs at 23.30 from Schiphol. I used the shuttle last november and it was free.

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Buying bus/train tickets with credit card

Jumeirah: Thanks - I knew about their free shuttle, but somehow forgot about it when putting these plans together. The only thing is their shuttle is only 1x per hour so we may just be willing to pay for the bus rather than wait at the airport that long at the end of a long night if we do not time it right. The next morning, if we use the hotel shuttle, we would have to pay. Only free to get from Schipol to hotel.

sydneynick: We will suck it up and pay extra to use the luggage storage counter. We would never make it before closing if we tried to go to the hotel first.

Ronaldo: We were planning to carry about 20 euro. However that won't be enough for transportation and emergenecies. I think you are right - take the train to Lelylaan and then take tram 17. That will get us to AF as quickly as possible.

So now, I need to figure out where to get tickets and how much cash I need.

Trip 1: Train to Lelylaan - can buy tix with CC €2.80 x 3 + €2.50 railrunner = €10.90

Trip 2: Tram from Lelylaan to AF - €1.58 x 4 = €6.32

Trip 3: somewhere in central Amterdam (Marnixstraat) - Connexxion bus to hotel. (179 & 300) = €4.54 x 4 = €18.16

Trip 4: Connexxion bus 300 to Schipol in the morning. €2.29 x 4 = €9.16

If I have to pay for Connexion and trams in cash, I will need €33.64.

Any kid discounts I am missing?

The pass is €13.50 so not worth it since paying in cash will only be €8.51.

By the way, Do bus drivers really make change down to the cents? Here in Canada, even the stores don't. 5 cents is the smallest deonominator now and everything gets rounded up or down.

Looks like I will have to bring at least 50 euros in cash.

As a side note, I am gasping at how much transportation costs in Europe are. I'm using buses (Amsterdam), trains (Switzerland), and tube (London) and OOUUUCHHHH!! Works out to USD500 (€360) for just 12 days of travelling - not even including transport between cities (flying) or a rental car for 3 days in England. Guess I'm just not used to paying for public transportation since we typically use cars. When I first booked our trip to Europe, I was estimating around 200-300 USD for transportation. Oh well, it is what it is and WE WILL BE IN EUROPE!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,611 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Buying bus/train tickets with credit card

Well I have even more bad news for you. I guess you took those prices from the 9292 site? Apart from the train fars, unfortunately they are prices which will be deducted from an OV chipkaart. if you pay in cash it will be more.

For instance the tram from Lelylaan is €2,80 for a one hour ticket. the 197 bus is around €3.80 and at a guess the 300 bus will be 3 euros so in the end not much less than the area ticket especiall if you take the 300 back in the morning.

We don't use anything less than 5 cents in the Netherlands

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,937 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Buying bus/train tickets with credit card

Think of it this way. For most people using public transportation is cheaper than owning a car. :-))

Have a great trip!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,611 posts
81 reviews
8. Re: Buying bus/train tickets with credit card

I feel your pain. Fortunately my kids are grown up now and I don't have to take them with me. :-)

Unfortunately my kids are grown up now and I don't take them with me :-(

Edited: 23 February 2014, 20:40
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: Buying bus/train tickets with credit card

Hi,

It seems to me that you did your calculation based on the prices for travel with the use of the anonymous or personal OV-Chipkaart. Problem is that you have to buy this anonymous OV-Chipkaart for 7.50 euro per person ( and then top it off with cash or cc for credit ) in order to pay these amounts.

If I am wrong others will correct me . If you don't have this OV-Chipkaart then you end up buying an 1hour OV-Chipkaart for 2.80 euro for trip 1 and paper tickets from Amsterdam to the Airport and from the Airport to the hotel. So then I think Ronaldo's suggestion for the area pass will be cheaper..........

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
10. Re: Buying bus/train tickets with credit card

I really should apply for a fast typing training one day ...... ;-)

This link shows the departure times for the shuttle: marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/a/amscy/amscy_… at some times they run more frequent!

Edited: 23 February 2014, 20:50