We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam in November with 11 year old?

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
331 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam in November with 11 year old?

Hello... Been trying to decide where to go in November during a school break with our son (have done Paris, London's, Italy, Spain, Ireland) and has come down to berlin, Amsterdam and Prague. Some advice has been amsterdam due to length of day. I know weather may be wet and cold but that is ok. We have a history loving kid on our hands - will we be able to fill 6 full days in Amsterdam or should we split the week with another nearby location? With the weather, makes me nervous we won't be outside enjoying the scenery as much. Comments? :) thanks....

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Italy
Italy
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam in November with 11 year old?

I would expect it to be colder in Berlin and Prague since they are deep in the continent. So if you're going based solely on weather, Amsterdam will be more mild. Yes, it will most likely be wet but that doesn't keep folks from doing things. If weather is a priority I'd look at Barcelona or Croatia. Amsterdam and Berlin are on about the same latitude and Prague is a bit south, so I'd say length of day is a wash.

As far as 6 days, I'd call that a bare minimum. I go for 3 months at a time these days.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam in November with 11 year old?

Many thanks for your comments.. Got 20+ inches of snow outside my door for weeks now so weather is not a big deal. :) We were in bcn and Lisbon this past summer so have explored them already. While I'll miss tulips, as long as we have other things to keep us busy, all good!

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam in November with 11 year old?

I would combine Amsterdam with Bruges, and possibly a few other nearby cities. It's a wonderful, compact area, the Netherlands and Belgium, with lots of history :-)

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
4. Re: Amsterdam in November with 11 year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 10:50