We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a day in Amsterdam in April

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
39 posts
31 reviews
a day in Amsterdam in April

I'm trying to organize our day and a half in Amsterdam this April before our river cruise. We're booked at Hotel Sebastian's at Keizersgracht 15. We arrive at Schipol at 10:00am. I'm hoping to go to the Rijksmuseum that afternoon since the online tickets don't specify a time (in case there are flight problems).

The next morning I want to go on a guided bike tour from 10:00am to 1:00pm. After that I'd love to go to the Anne Franke House. I'll need to get online tickets that specify a time for that and I'm not sure how long it might take us to walk there from Dam Square where our bike is left.

Here are my questions. How long will it take us to walk to AFH from Dam Sq? What time should I reserve the tickets that allows us time to get there and not rush too much? Is this too much to try in one day? we have to get back to the hotel and then to the boat by 5:00pm.

I'm also thinking about the Van Gogh Museum or the Rembrandt museum when we return to Amsterdam at the end of our cruise.

Thanks for any help with logistics. Don't want to rush but don't want to miss too much either.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,607 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: a day in Amsterdam in April

How long will it take us to walk to AFH from Dam Sq? 10 minutes max

The AF will take 90 minutes max even if you loiter.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
2. Re: a day in Amsterdam in April

You can try to visit Anne Frank House in the late afternoon/ early evening of your first day. In April they're open until 9pm (10pm on Saturdays).

On that second day you may just want to have some lunch after your bike ride?

You don't say when in April... it would be a coincidence but if it's the 26th that is King's Day. Huge celebrations.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
39 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: a day in Amsterdam in April

Thanks for the help. We're in Amsterdam mid April so we miss the celebration. I'm worried about missing all the Rijks has to offer but concerned about lines the afternoon after a long flight. I think I'll push to go there our first day and since RonaldoC says 10 minutes gets us to Anne Frank, we'll do that late afternoon on the second day after our bike tour.

I still must choose Van Gogh or Rembrandt for the last afternoon free after the 8 day river cruise. Any suggestions? Again, thanks for your assistance.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
870 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: a day in Amsterdam in April

Rijksmuseum is huge - you might be rushing things if you want to visit it the same afternoon after your 10am arrival. Rijksmuseum closes at 17:00. Buy tickets online in advance, and even though they have to entry timeslot on them, you can usually get in very fast.

As for the Van Gogh Museum or Rembrandt House Museum (note "house" - there is no such Rembrandt Museum) - definately Van Gogh. Rembrandt House Museum is about his working environment, so there are no paintings.

Another two notable alternatives - Stedelijk Museum and the Hermitage Amsterdam. Stedelijk is awesome for contemporary art lovers, and Hermitage Amsterdam is a daughter-museum of the famous Hermitage of St.Petersburg in Russia - so mostly russian themed things there. Both, however, often have dedicated special exhibitions, so check out official websites of the museums if interested.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
5. Re: a day in Amsterdam in April

I just thought that since Rijksmuseum is closed in the evening that would leave time on the first evening for you to visit Anne Frank House.

After the bike tour you may need some food (just thinking of what *my* body works like ha ha), then time to get to your hotel and the boat. Not leaving much time for Anne Frank. That's all.

Whatever you choose, make sure you have advance tickets so as to skip the long queue foe Anne Frank House.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 00:24
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
39 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: a day in Amsterdam in April

Will do. Thanks so much for helping. We'll head to Van Gogh on our last day and make sure to eat lots after the bike tour. Can't wait to visit this wonderful city.

7. Re: a day in Amsterdam in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 11:48