We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to walk from Museum District to Dam Square?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
23 reviews
How to walk from Museum District to Dam Square?

Greetings to all.

My wife and I will be staying in the Museum District for a week in late April of this year (Nicolaas Maesstraat near Van Baerlestraat). We are interested in the most scenic/atmospheric walking route to take from there to Dam Square. Pretty canals, leafy neighborhoods, perhaps a nice bakery/cafe stop at midpoint ... that sort of thing. (I understand from Google Maps that it will take approximately 35 mins of walking time).

Suggestions most appreciated!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
117 reviews
1. Re: How to walk from Museum District to Dam Square?

That time sounds about right: 35 minutes. I stayed in the same section of the city in 2011 and walked back and forth to Dam Square several times. My favorite way is to walk along Prinsengracht (or one of the parallel canals) and then hang a right either at Reestraat or the street right after the Anne Frank House. Mind you, that's probably not the shortest route, but it more or less seems to accord with your description. I'm sure there are shorter, more interesting routes. I like the Prinsengracht route for several reasons, but one is because the Westerkerk tower (the tallest in the Centrum) is a good landmark, and it's right next to the Anne Frank House. That's when I know I'm getting close.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: How to walk from Museum District to Dam Square?

Be sure to walk through the tunnel at the Rijksmuseum and then straight on through the Spiegelkwarter. You'll conect to the Prinsengracht just after that.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
3. Re: How to walk from Museum District to Dam Square?

This would be my suggestion, zoom in for more detail. http://goo.gl/maps/49D4W

- walk across the grass of Museumplein, with beautiful buildings all around (Concert hall, Stedelijk Museum, Van Gogh Museum, American embassy, Rijksmuseum). You may also see people playing soccer, volleyball, maybe even lacrosse on the grass of Museumplein.

- the tea/coffee garden just underneath Rijksmuseum might be open, just to the right of the entrance to the tunnel under the museum (Museumplein-side). A lovely place to sit in the garden and relax with a cup of good coffee.

- cross underneath Rijksmuseum through the tunnel, if you're lucky live musicians will be playing there with good accoustics.

- Walk through cute and picturesque Kerkstraat, with a residential feel and some shops.

- Leidsegracht is one of the most beautiful in the city in my opinion.

- Zig zag through 9 Straatjes (9 streets full of funky shops and cafes), also taking in Westerkerk, but then heading back into the canals instead of staying on the busy Raadhuisstraat

- Take in some more of the Reestraat, Wolvenstraat etc (9 Streets) than I was able to mark in Google Maps

- Then make your way past the Royal Palace to Dam Square.

As for you being here 'late April', note that 26th April is King's Day. tripadvisor.com/…0 (perhaps one of the DE's can put that in the Top Questions instead of New Year's Eve :-))

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 05 February 2014, 17:20
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
4. Re: How to walk from Museum District to Dam Square?

Sorry, the full walk: http://goo.gl/maps/ppAEI (zoomed out)

And which 9 streets make up "THE 9 Streets" > http://www.de9straatjes.nl/uk/

Edited: 05 February 2014, 17:24
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,695 posts
5. Re: How to walk from Museum District to Dam Square?

i 2nd the run up speigelkwartier..lot of nice little shops on that stretch.

London, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
6. Re: How to walk from Museum District to Dam Square?

That's a great tip from Pala32, Spiegelgracht is very picturesque, day or night. There's a tiny cafe, the well-known Cafe Heuvel, at the junction with Prinsengracht. You can sit and admire the view whilst enjoying a coffee or small beer with a snack.

www.cafeheuvel.nl

If you're not in a hurry, make your way over to the Amstel, head north and cross the river at Halvemaansbrug. Head for the extremely pretty Staalstraat and then turn left onto either Groenburgwal or Zwanenburgwal. When you reach the end of either canal, turn left onto Raamgracht and forward down Rusland. Turn right onto O.Z. Achterburgwal or cut through St Agnietenstraat to turn right on O.Z. Voorburgwal. Both canals will take you to Damstraat/Oude Doelenstraat. Turn left and Dam square is straight in front of you.

Hope that doesn't sound too complicated. With a map in hand it really isn't. Plenty of cafes along the route for a rest, especially around the picture postcard pretty Staalstraat.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,785 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: How to walk from Museum District to Dam Square?

When I make that general walk, which I do once or twice a day, during my stay I try never to take the same walking route.

And no matter what streets I take I find the walk beyond enjoyable.

Take one route on the way in but make sure you take a different route on the way back.

I have done a lot of fun things in life. Many of which I'd never put on an open forum :-)

But few things bring me more joy than aimlessly walking the streets of Amsterdam.

London, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
8. Re: How to walk from Museum District to Dam Square?

'But few things bring me more joy than aimlessly walking the streets of Amsterdam.'

Spot on, MrJohn. It would be in my top 3 of very favourite things to do too. It brings me as much pleasure as just about anything.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,934 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: How to walk from Museum District to Dam Square?

What John and Silverjet said.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: How to walk from Museum District to Dam Square?

Thank you all so much for the WONDERFUL suggestions. I think we will indeed try out several different routes that you have suggested because we will be there for an entire week.

As for our arrival date, it is April 27, the day after King's Day. The representative from our hotel was so cute when we were emailing back & forth. He said something to the effect of "please excuse our city's mess" because it will take a day or two to clean up the streets after King's Day. I thought that was so sweet of him to apologize like that. Do you think his estimate is about right for things to be cleaned up?