We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

unsure which location to choose

essex, england
Level Contributor
191 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
unsure which location to choose

My daughter and her friend are spending 2 nights in Amsterdam to enjoy sight seeing during the day and then bars and clubs in the evening. They are looking for modern clubs and bars with a young crowd.(hope this description makes sense!) Would they be best booking a hotel around rembrantplein or Dam square? Not sure which of these locations would be best for the evening as would also need to consider how to get back to the hotel in the early hours.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: unsure which location to choose

Rembrandtplein or Leidseplein would be mu suggestions. There are night buses so getting back to the hotel after hours should not be a problem. I would also suggest maybe having a read of the following article from out Top Questions on the right side of this page. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c156882/Amste…

essex, england
Level Contributor
191 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: unsure which location to choose

Hi thanks for your quick reply. Sorry did not see the details as posting on my phone so will have a read now. Thanks

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: unsure which location to choose

Totally agree with Balou, I think Leidesplein or Rembrandtplein would be best, and there are the night buses too; what you may not realise is that the city is very compact, and most areas are easily walked in, at most 30 mins, it is relatively safe as long as you are sensible, so you dont have to rule the central Dam area out completely.

If your girls need taxis, stick to TCA taxis (+31) 020 777 7777 - we have never had a problem with them

essex, england
Level Contributor
191 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: unsure which location to choose

Thanks juejosh. I went last year with my husband and we loved Amsterdam and walked everywhere. We only spent one night there at the renaissance hotel but as I was unwell with a cold ended up in bed early so no idea what it was like at night! I have looked up details on the night bus to help them but cannot see which one they would get back to dam square or will that be obvious once they are there?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: unsure which location to choose

I agree with my esteemed fellow members as far as location.

But it's hardly going to make a big difference.

All those areas mentioned are quality locations. 20 mins nice safe walk from one to another. Safe walk at all hours.

The choice of hotels is a bigger choice IMO.

Staying at the Kras on Dam sq s hardly a bad choice.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: unsure which location to choose

Use the following site for door to door directions across the country. http://9292.nl/en

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,209 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: unsure which location to choose

Depending on what kind of crowd the kids are looking for in terms of clubs and bars, my slight leaning would be for Rembrandtplein area for going out and therefore lodging as well. On and within 150 meters of the square you have three good dance clubs: Escape, Club Air and a new club next to Club Air the name of which escapes me. Off the square you have a good large (dance) bar with a nice crowd of student types - young 30's called De Heeren van Aemstel. Why do I suggest this instead of Leidseplein? In my experience, Leidseplein is significantly more 'rowdy' late nights than is Rembrandt Sq. And you could have them staying in a decent hotel that is not more than 5 - 8 minutes walking given the choice of hotels there. And for sightseeing it is obviously as excellent a choice as Leidseplein, Dam, Jordaan, etc.

essex, england
Level Contributor
191 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: unsure which location to choose

Thanks lennybruce, I agree with your choice, they certainly wish to avoid the rowdy option so will pass on all your advice. Many thanks to everyone for all their help:)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: unsure which location to choose

I would advise Leidseplein because that has most of the best nightclubs that also attract a lot of locals. I assume what Lenny means by rowdy is just 'noisy'? I would not call it rowdy at all and I very often wander out of clubs or bars there and/or cycle across Leidseplein very often well after midnight. Doesn't feel unsafe or anything at all. Just people going from bar to bar, or going home after everything is closer, or going for late night snacks... no problem at all!

Paradiso, Melkweg, Sugarfactory, Jimmy Woo are all good clubs to try out, but tell them to also check which party is on and which deejays are playing. Especially Paradiso is amazing, in an old church with several rooms.

Also, Leidseplein is very central with regards to museums, Vondelpark, the canal belt and enything else they may want to visit.

Rembrandtplein is about the same when it comes to noisiness. This square doesn't attract so many locals (except the few gay bars at the corners of the square), but mostly youngsters from outside Amsterdam, and tourists. In fact I think it might be rowdier still because these are people just discovering alcohol and going out, and are pumped up on testosterone.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 13 January 2014, 02:32
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,209 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: unsure which location to choose

Interesting differences in perspective :)... Sorry OP to confuse you with our differing views :).. Since Cecile74 is significantly younger than me, you may want to give more weight to her perspective than mine ;)

PS: By rowdy, I meant more than noisy. My impression is that Leidseplein has more drunken "rowdiness" and incident potential late at night but I defer to Cecile's perspective on this.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 13:02