We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day Bike Trip - Best Route for Tulips + Castles

canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 day Bike Trip - Best Route for Tulips + Castles

Hello people of expertise!

If you wouldn't mind taking a look at my plan so far - it would be appreciated. Our bike trip will be from April 15 - April 18, 2014 inclusive.

I have two trains of thought as to how we should do this.

#1 Plan

Day 1

Rent (Toerfits) at Macbike Central Train Station Amsterdam, take train to Zaanse Schans for 1/2 day walk about

Train to Lisse - 1/2 day walk about Keukenhof (pre-buy tickets online)

Train to Leiden - sleep overnight

Day 2

Ride from Leiden to Gouda - overnight

Day 3, Day 4

Ride from Gouda to Utrecht - overnight (2 nights)

End of Day 4 - return by train to Amsterdam

#2 Plan

Rent Bikes at Macbike - Central Station/Amsterdam

Train to Haarlem, Stay four nights

Train to Leiden, Gouda, Utrecht with bicycles (daily) and do day trips in and around each location. Train back to accommodations in Haarlem.

End of Day 4 - train back to Amsterdam

Am a bit leery about cycling on the coast in mid-April - might be chilly?

If we commit to PLan #1 - will need to book accommodations at each location - which will pressure us to get there rain or shine.

Want to see windmills, tulips, nature, castles. At least one of the group don't want to ride more than 30 km/day. Re: Plan #1: What is your opinion on two nights in Utrecht? If not Utrecht, what place would you suggest we stay two nights in.

Can you recommend a bike route book I should buy that is awesome for this area?

Much appreciated, Carol

Mentioned in this post
MacBike
MacBike
338 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Zaanse Schans
Zaanse Schans
6,292 Reviews
Zaandam, The Netherlands
Lisse
Lisse
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
Leiden
Leiden
Utrecht
Utrecht
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
Central Station Hostel
Central Station Hostel
114 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Haarlem
Haarlem
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day Bike Trip - Best Route for Tulips + Castles

See this thread: tripadvisor.com/…0

And this one: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188554-i5823-k669…

As for your plan #1: that is much more than 30km per day. The scenic bike routes are usually about 1.5 times as long as the fastest route by car (i.e. Leiden - Gouda = 31km by car, so about 45km by bike, unless you want to cycle alongside smelly boring motorways the whole time). The scenic routes go though meadows, past farms, through heathland, small towns, forests, tupip fields if you're lucky, castles if you're lucky or plan well.

I also think it would be impractical to rent a bike for 4 days if you're only going to use it for 2. It's a bit of a hassle to bring them on trains: you need to get special tickets, find the elevator or do kamikaze acts on escalators (also depends on your luggage), run to the carriage that allows bikes and which somehow never stop where you were waiting on the platform :-) , lift the bikes into the train inbetween hurrying people, guard the bikes and your luggage...

If I were you I'd wait and see what the weather is like. The country is super flat which means the wind is a strong factor. Having strong head wind (and maybe rain) all the way will make even a 20km ride, hell.

Biking in the rain is no fun, period.

As for maps, get some good bike maps that have the numbered junctions marked in them as well (knooppunten), and a map of all LF-routes could come in handy. (See the other threads for explanations.) You can find some info here too: http://holland.cyclingaroundtheworld.nl/

And this also has the LF-routes and such (although the Dutch version is more detailed): http://www.nederlandfietsland.nl/en

The app called "Fiets!" also allows you to 'connect the dots' = knooppunten = the numbered junction system; it also calculates the number of kilometers for you.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

…xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm#bike

Edited: 29 September 2013, 04:17
Mentioned in this post
Leiden
Leiden
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day Bike Trip - Best Route for Tulips + Castles

P.S. Great to see someone interested in more than Amsterdam, and cycling the country... you might be lucky and catch an almost-heatwave in April like we had a few years ago. Then again you might catch a very wintery April like we had this year. You can only be semi-sure of what the weather is going to be like about 2 days in advance....

Every city should have bike rental and also nice circular daytrips to be done from it (without luggage) using the numbered junctions.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
3. Re: 4 day Bike Trip - Best Route for Tulips + Castles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 09:47